Little Giant Incubator Tricks

good question--I have wondered that myself. I do use a digital but I compared it to my glass thermometers. Mine is a big box, like a double deck of cards, and I'm not sure at what level the temps are taken on my mode. Doyou have a probe type?

My guess is that some models are beter than others-- meaning more accurate right out of the box.

Would love to see some other answers myself.

Mine is a square one I got at WalMart-- AccuRite:

I'm not sure it's that accurate for humidity, but when I compared the thermometer portion to the one that came with my Little Giant incubator, they registered the same temp. So I'm hoping that the thermometer is accurate (and not just equally wrong). I just read on a different thread that we can calibrate a digital humidity monitor -- which is to say, note any difference and calculate what the correct humidity should be (because this kind doesn't offer a reset).

NEW issue: Whether or not I can use this monitor inside with the egg turner. I'd like to stick it in there with the eggs, but I'm afraid it'll mess up the turner.

Anyone have thoughts on that?

Most thermometers and hygrometers are not setup to be actually calibrated by the layman...
...but.....
you can test these devices for accuracy and makes notes to adjust your readings.
Below is how I tested my devices prior to hatching.

Tips on checking accuracy of thermometers and hygrometers:

The thing you want to do is check that any of thermometers and hygrometers are correct by testing them against a known criteria.
Comparing devices is useless unless you know how accurate any of them are.

I used a candy thermometer tested in boiling water and noted how far off 212 degrees it was...or whatever temp water boils at your altitude.
You can check your boiling temp at altitude here.
Then put the candy thermometer and 3 others in the incubator during the test run and compared them all, noting any differences.

I made a chart noting all temps and made notes about if this one reads this temp it is actually that temp.

Hygrometers can be tested by putting 1/2 cup salt and 1/4 cup water in a dish or jar and mixing it to a slurry.
Put the salt slurry jar and the hygrometer next to each other in a sealed plastic bag.
After 8-12 hours the hygrometer should read 75%...again note and differences and you're set.

Ok soooo have an issue...lock down for bator #1 today. Lockdown for bator #2 Saturday. ..have 18 eggs that need to go in now...what should I do??? Hope all hatch Sat in bator #1 and add the ones from bator #2 to that one???? Gd grief I am stressing out lol!!!!

Ok soooo have an issue...lock down for bator #1 today. Lockdown for bator #2 Saturday. ..have 18 eggs that need to go in now...what should I do??? Hope all hatch Sat in bator #1 and add the ones from bator #2 to that one???? Gd grief I am stressing out lol!!!!
Take care of the first group to hatch, and at the end of that hatch, add the second batch of eggs.

Q- If two incubators, why the conflict in hatching schedule??

Mine is a square one I got at WalMart-- AccuRite:

I'm not sure it's that accurate for humidity, but when I compared the thermometer portion to the one that came with my Little Giant incubator, they registered the same temp. So I'm hoping that the thermometer is accurate (and not just equally wrong). I just read on a different thread that we can calibrate a digital humidity monitor -- which is to say, note any difference and calculate what the correct humidity should be (because this kind doesn't offer a reset).

NEW issue: Whether or not I can use this monitor inside with the egg turner. I'd like to stick it in there with the eggs, but I'm afraid it'll mess up the turner.

Anyone have thoughts on that?
THis is the one I use. As much as accruacy counts, location of the measure ment is a factor too. Incubating is a bit of trial and error. Keep a journal of all the details and adjust accordingly. THe method aart suggests is the first step; my info the second step .

Buy another bator??........or slow down and don't out try to out produce your facilities?

Take care of the first group to hatch, and at the end of that hatch, add the second batch of eggs. 

Q- If two incubators, why the conflict in hatching schedule??
I had shipped eggs arrive after I set the 1st batch so I got the second one. I've been waiting for 2 months for this shipment and sounded like it would be delayed so figured I'd be ok...but they were ready a week earlier...

I have what may be a dumb question-- does one calibrate a digital thermometer?

This is what I do.
Whenever I purchase a new thermometer and about to use it for the first time, I calibrate it. Thermometers will also need to be calibrated whenever they are dropped or when going from one temperature extreme to another. Thermometers are a critical measuring equipments for temperature to ensure good hatch rates.

There are two methods that you could use to calibrate thermometers -

Ice Point Method - Fill a container with crushed ice and water. Ensure that the container has enough crushed ice to provide an environment of 32 degrees F, so you may need to add more ice into the container during the process. It will takes about 4 to 5 minutes for the mixture of water to stabilized. Then insert the thermometer which needs to be calibrated into the appropriate immersion depth. Hold the thermometer away from the bottom and sides of the container to avoid error. If your thermometer is not accurate at 32 degrees F, adjust the thermometer accordingly.
Some Thermometers are adjustable and some are not.

Boiling Point Method - Fill a container with distilled water and heat it up. After the temperature in the water has reached the boiling point, insert the thermometer . Be sure to leave at least a two inch gap between the thermometer sensing element and the bottom and sides of the container to avoid error. If your thermometer is not accurate at 212 degrees F, adjust the thermometer accordingly.
Again some Thermometers are adjustable and some are not. If the thermometer is off just note the difference.

There are some thermometers that are not meant to be put in water and water may damage them. This is what I do for these types of thermometers. I fill a glass with crushed ice (NO WATER) and put the thermometer probe around halfway down into the ice and cover with a washcloth. I let the thermometer set in the ice for about 15 minutes. At that time it should read around 32ºF.

Back
Top Bottom