Little Giant Incubator Tricks

Pics
I just bought an LG this morning, when I found out my special hovabater (ordered 10 days ago) would be another week before shipping. I just cancelled that order and bought an LG with a fan. I have found my mason jars I'll be needing for humidity, and I'll buy some sponges, or use towel strips. Glad to be prepared. The fan is a big plus over my oldest incubator, an early round hovabator w/o fan. It's side by side with my newer hova w/fan and turner. (I also bought the turner, since it seems to be a problem to open it often. Another handly trick from this thread).

I'm glad you had this thread, or else I may have bought a still air. Mine is allready holding temp, and the thermometer is thankfully NOT 2 degrees off. I just checked it against the didgetal in my hova. Just goes to show that every thermometer is different. You can test them, though, to find out how far off they are. Get a glass of ice, and put in just enough water to reach the top of the ice. Put in your thermometer for 2 minutes. AT that time, it should read 32 degrees. Anything higher or lower is how far off you are. Just go mark the idea temp with a marker on your thermometer, and your all set. Its a food safety technique the state requires me to do every 2 weeks at work to calibrate our thernometers. 100% foolproof.

Good to know on the calibration of the thermometers!

Haha--my LG works well because I open mine to turn every 3-4 times a day and that keeps it from climbing too high at the current setting.

Gl and hope you enjoy using the LG. It keeps you on your toes.

It is.

I've sort of used the idea of the milk jug lid to attach to controller and make fine adjustments, but I varied it in a note worthy way. Instead of the milk jug lid, I found a piece of clear plastic, cut it the size of a quarter (used one as template) and then hot melted its center to the controller. This allows you to view the light still, instead of blocking it with colored lid. And, the hot melt is removable, if one is carefull, so it doesn't permanently ater it like a screw, and it can be added in midincubation w/o fear of messing up settings.

That is an excellent idea. I only used the milk jug lid as it was what I had on hand. I did put the lid upside down so I could see the light and adjustment arrows so I wouldn't be adjusting the wrong way.

I loved your idea! If you hadn't posted it, I'd still be pulling my hair out over fine adjustments. Your idea totally made using the incubator possible! I've used your idea, and I also use the spong idea (for humidity control). Thanks so much for having posted your great idea.
highfive.gif

That is an excellent idea. I only used the milk jug lid as it was what I had on hand. I did put the lid upside down so I could see the light and adjustment arrows so I wouldn't be adjusting the wrong way.

I HAVE turned that darned knob the wrong direction!!! Now, I'm VERY careful to double check direction BEFORE turning!!

WOW so helpful!!!!! I will say though that I was afraid to put the PC fan up there b/c it is so close to the heating element and I am a worry wort (evidently it is ok though). I put my PC fan on the side wall of the top. I used a drill to punch a hole in that side. IDK just saying it does fit there. It may or may not with the turner in there but as of now mine is making a "seal" at the seam.

Ok so after a grand failure today with my LG I just sat and read this entire thread. Whew! Im sitting here pondering how I can alter my LG to make my own. U was thinking though in the above comments instead of the papertowel to up humidity what about one of those sham wow cloths or whatever that hold so much water? What if I took the heating element and thermostat of the LG and made my own using a utility sink? Im thinking build a box to set sink in and fill about a 6 inch gap with that spray insulation stuff that expands like 4 million times (Great Stuff i think it is called?) then line the top with foam door sealing tape stull and make a lid out of.....well....i havent gotten that far. Any thoughts?

Now you're thinking. I have an LG and a homemade incubator. My homemade is created from a plastic cooler. Better to keep the LG in one piece and build the new one from other peices. Most people like having 2 incubators. One as a hatcher, one as an incubator.

Lots of info here on BYC to build an incubator; read lots of ideas to decide what design you want.

Back
Top Bottom