Little Giant incubator

Quick update and question;

One egg didn't make it. One of them was an early quitter and me moving it to candle it must have jiggled the embryo. 11/12 is a pretty good rate so far. Hopefully they all hatch!

Secondly, this is going to be a dumb question but I've never used a standing egg turner before.... When it's time for the eggs and to hatch and they go on lockdown, is there a way to tell which side the egg lays on or does it really matter? Like i mean of they've cracked a side open leave that side up of course but I just wonder.

Quick update and question;

One egg didn't make it. One of them was an early quitter and me moving it to candle it must have jiggled the embryo. 11/12 is a pretty good rate so far. Hopefully they all hatch!

Secondly, this is going to be a dumb question but I've never used a standing egg turner before.... When it's time for the eggs and to hatch and they go on lockdown, is there a way to tell which side the egg lays on or does it really matter? Like i mean of they've cracked a side open leave that side up of course but I just wonder.
Yes... There is a way to tell which side of the egg you should face towards the ceiling
Give me one second and I'll take a couple of pictures for you.

It's Not exactly clear but it should give you an idea of what to look for when you candle as you're moving the eggs from the turner.

The purple line...
Notice how on the top of the egg the purple line is closer to the pointy end of the egg?
Do you see the purple line on the bottom of the egg how it is feather away from the pointy end of the egg?

You want the egg to sit like this in the incubator...with the purple line closer to The pointy end of the egg up top facing the ceiling.
Screenshot_20220228-183414.png

When you candled, did you see the side were the air cell was "saddled" or larger towards one side of the egg? Thats were the chick will pip, and the side you want facing up.

It's Not exactly clear but it should give you an idea of what to look for when you candle as you're moving the eggs from the turner.

The purple line...
Notice how on the top of the egg the purple line is closer to the pointy end of the egg?
Do you see the purple line on the bottom of the egg how it is feather away from the pointy end of the egg?

You want the egg to sit like this in the incubator...with the purple line closer to The pointy end of the egg up top facing the ceiling.
View attachment 3009160
When you candled, did you see the side were the air cell was "saddled" or larger towards one side of the egg? Thats were the chick will pip, and the side you want facing up.

Thank you both VERY much!! The visual definitely helped and I really appreciate it.

I don't want to make another thread, but I broke open the one that died out of curiosity.

I don't think the spoiler worked so I removed it. But I was wondering what y'all think? It looks like it died around day 11 or 12, judging by those tiny little tail feathers and the almost development of claws. See anything weird or anything I should be concerned with, or was it just not strong enough you think?

IMG_20220228_212006.jpg

Wait, which one is it? Sorry, I'm looking at incubators. :oops:

It's a Little Giant with a 42 egg turner and fan included. Honestly, while I got one chick to hatch successfully so far, i do not recommend. The temperature gage SUCKS and it holding heat/circulating like it needs to isn't great. I got this one used and on sale, usually they're $150 new.

Back
Top Bottom