little giant incubator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FogHornLegHornWV, Sep 5, 2011.

1. FogHornLegHornWV

FogHornLegHornWV In the Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    I have a LG incubator,does not have fan ,anyone have any tips for using it? I do have a turner for it. Debating to try dry incubation or not. Thanks for info.

2. johnwinters

johnwinters In the Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    Just keep the water rings filled and run it at a constant temperature - I found a lizard thermometer with the probe on a long cord worked better then the one with it, though I don't use the egg turner either. I also glued a piece of wood on the temperature knob to make it easier to adjust.

Good luck!

JW

3. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Songster

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    You'll find lovers and haters of the LG on here... personally I've had good luck with it. Some gal wrote a great 'how to', if you do a search for Little Giant Incubator it should come up.
    From experience:
    Throw away the thermometer it came with. Get a water-wiggler or have a temperature probe at egg level.
    Be sure to have it in a room with little temperature variation - right now mine is in my parent's basement.
    Get it up and running a week before you put eggs in it. It takes awhile to stabilize.
    Filling the bottom with rocks, pebbles, glass beads, etc (as a 'heat sink') - will help with temp swings.
    Dry incubation is your friend
    Turn the knob a HAIR, then WAIT!
    Watch for a temp decrease when you take out the auto-turner.

That's all I can think of for now! [​IMG] Good luck!

4. LilyD

LilyD Crowing

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    My Coop
    ChooksChick is the one who made the cheat sheet for incubating with an LG. I use it every time I use mine and it works like a charm. The more draft free your space is the better the LG will work. Many people use a basement or closed because there are no drafts and it works better when the temp of the room stays steady.

Here is the link to her sheet

https://www.backyardchickens.com/we...f4&PHPSESSID=24edf233c822d53adf9ec69d785d8fb7

5. hudsonnascarfan

hudsonnascarfan Chirping

May 26, 2011
    i have a lg with the egg turner in it what i did was put in a pc fan it really does help it to keep a even temp you can find them at any pc shop for around 12 to 15 bucks i put mine in and used a old cell phone charger to run the fan it works great some time soon im picking up a second one to use as a hatcher that way i wont have to sit on top of it when i take my eggs out of the turner and i can also run some stagered hatches that way too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: