Little giant vs Nurture Right 360

Something is way off. I have 8 thermometers in the little giant and ALL of them are reading different. Different temps and different humidity readings. Im not sure what is going on with this incubator... I have temps from 94.8-101.5 degrees and 57%-68% humidity. Anyone have any ideas? Is this normal? My humidity jumps into the 70's sometimes and once into the 90's today.

I've experienced what you describe as well. No two digital or liquid thermometers reading alike and varying widely from one another. I've ordered mercury thermometers which are considered to be the most accurate of the liquid variety to add to the mix. The mercury's are not easy to find, but I found one sold to veterinarians and the photo industry uses them too. There's a lag effect with the digital thermometers that has to considered. I tested all my thermometers (13 of them and counting) first by placing them on a hard surface in a small room where it was easier to maintain a constant higher temperature than the rest of the house. Then I used a good quality infrared/laser gun to read the surface temperature for comparison to each thermometer. I ignored the outlier readings and averaged the readings that were close to one another in order to arrive at a theoretical mean number that I could compare each of the units too. Then I placed them in my incubator(s) in various locations and noted the readings there as well. When my mercury thermometers arrive (accurate medical thermometers tend to be in short supply right now), I'll run the tests again.

Some recommend immersing liquid thermometers in ice water to verify that they read 32 degrees. I've done this to prove my liquid thermometers were reading correctly at 32 F, but found them to vary when the temperature was raised to 100 degrees even with the same manufacturer.

One can calibrate for humidity by placing a digital unit inside a kit sold to cigar buffs that sells for around 10 bucks on Amazon. There are kits for high and low humidity calibration tests available for cigar buffs or one can just Google for the salts that are needed to put into a sealed bag along with the hydrometer for 24 hours to verify if it's reading correctly or not.

I've experienced what you describe as well. No two digital or liquid thermometers reading alike and varying widely from one another. I've ordered mercury thermometers which are considered to be the most accurate of the liquid variety to add to the mix. The mercury's are not easy to find, but I found one sold to veterinarians and the photo industry uses them too. There's a lag effect with the digital thermometers that has to considered. I tested all my thermometers (13 of them and counting) first by placing them on a hard surface in a small room where it was easier to maintain a constant higher temperature than the rest of the house. Then I used a good quality infrared/laser gun to read the surface temperature for comparison to each thermometer. I ignored the outlier readings and averaged the readings that were close to one another in order to arrive at a theoretical mean number that I could compare each of the units too. Then I placed them in my incubator(s) in various locations and noted the readings there as well. When my mercury thermometers arrive (accurate medical thermometers tend to be in short supply right now), I'll run the tests again.

Some recommend immersing liquid thermometers in ice water to verify that they read 32 degrees. I've done this to prove my liquid thermometers were reading correctly at 32 F, but found them to vary when the temperature was raised to 100 degrees even with the same manufacturer.

One can calibrate for humidity by placing a digital unit inside a kit sold to cigar buffs that sells for around 10 bucks on Amazon. There are kits for high and low humidity calibration tests available for cigar buffs or one can just Google for the salts that are needed to put into a sealed bag along with the hydrometer for 24 hours to verify if it's reading correctly or not.

I have calibrated and done every test I possibly can and still all over the place. I am going to just wait and see what happens. If I could get a new Bator shipped over night id do that but we can't get any rush shipments so I'm just SOL.

I messed with it now for countless hours and get it between 95-101 degrees and from 47-63% humidity. All 4 corners and the center are different. Ive become too obsessive (losing sleep and slacking from work) over it and am out of ideas so like I said, ill just wait. If all fails ill spend the money and get the GQF sportsman.

I purchased two Harris Farms Nurture Right 360s that have been performing better than my first set of commonly sold incubators on ebay and the like. It has taken some trial and error to get the humidity levels where I want them since adding even a little bit of water into the external ports goes a long way. I've had two hatches from the 360s so far including 5 chicks that are hatching as I write this. I have duck eggs in the other one. Only negative besides being a manually monitored humidity control is the cutouts in the egg turner are too small for goose eggs without modifying them by cutting out some partitions.

I also bought an R-Com MX-20 for hatching a clutch of turkey eggs recently. The unit is over 3-times costlier than many table top models, but humidity as well as temperature is automatically maintained by a rather substantial reservoir. I've been monitoring the R-Com for a day now and I'm impressed with its ability to hold temperature and humidity levels where I set them with less than a degree and/or percentage point fluctuation. The unit is made of thicker material throughout and obviously sturdier and better quality than the under $200 models. I'm very pleased with the R-Com so far despite its price tag and the 360s are pretty good too.

I purchased two Harris Farms Nurture Right 360s that have been performing better than my first set of commonly sold incubators on ebay and the like. It has taken some trial and error to get the humidity levels where I want them since adding even a little bit of water into the external ports goes a long way. I've had two hatches from the 360s so far including 5 chicks that are hatching as I write this. I have duck eggs in the other one. Only negative besides being a manually monitored humidity control is the cutouts in the egg turner are too small for goose eggs without modifying them by cutting out some partitions.

I also bought an R-Com MX-20 for hatching a clutch of turkey eggs recently. The unit is over 3-times costlier than many table top models, but humidity as well as temperature is automatically maintained by a rather substantial reservoir. I've been monitoring the R-Com for a day now and I'm impressed with its ability to hold temperature and humidity levels where I set them with less than a degree and/or percentage point fluctuation. The unit is made of thicker material throughout and obviously sturdier and better quality than the under $200 models. I'm very pleased with the R-Com so far despite its price tag and the 360s are pretty good too.
I have the 360 and it seems to be pretty good. I have had no issues with temp or humidity. Only issue is I can't find another one to buy.

I have the 360 and it seems to be pretty good. I have had no issues with temp or humidity. Only issue is I can't find another one to buy.

I've been having the same challenge. I lucked out finding my last 360 on the shelf of my local Tractor Supply that had been there quite awhile. It seems some Amazon sellers have Brinsea models in stock. I've read some good things about those. Almost bought one, but got the R-Com instead.

I've been having the same challenge. I lucked out finding my last 360 on the shelf of my local Tractor Supply that had been there quite awhile. It seems some Amazon sellers have Brinsea models in stock. I've read some good things about those. Almost bought one, but got the R-Com instead.

My hatch is due in 5 days out of my 360 so we will see how it pans out.

So far so good. At day 21 and 9 out of 11 eggs have hatched in the 360 so far. The last two haven’t pipped yet so I we have our fingers crossed. Not bad for our first hatch!

Congratulations. Wish I had bought two 360s for my 40 duck eggs instead of the cheaper large capacity one I first acquired. My second hatch rate with Barred Rock chicks in a 360 was good too. The first chick to hatch is the biggest and most curious. It comes over to my hand for a crop scratch every time I approach the brooder. Some of the others follow suit including two goslings I hatched at the same time.

My goslings are the kings of cuteness (and softness) in my growing poultry flock so far. A gosling will sit on my chest while I'm watching tv with it's neck stretched out over my thumb sound asleep as I lightly scratch it. My ducklings on the other hand, are most content keeping company with themselves while making the biggest mess they possibly can. I refer to my ducklings as the "teenagers" of my flocks both literally and figuratively.

I have also had great hatch rates with my 360. If it was fertilized, I got a chick out of it. Haven’t had too much of an issue with the humidity, just remember to keep water in it.

Back
Top Bottom