Little Giants... Debate & Poll!

Are Little Giants really that BAD?

• No, they work fine for me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I have had a bad experience with one.

• They are OK, but not the best.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I would get rid of mine PRONTO!

• Never get one, they are a ripoff.

• I recommend an LG to anyone. They are good.

• What is an LG??

• I've never had one.

• Total voters
You get good ones and bad ones I have had several. They are prone to ambient temperature reaction fluctuations. If you get one that hatches well keep it otherwise get rid of the ones that are not consistent in temp control. Kinda hard to really get clean. They are cheap and for the investment they are worth it. I have cabinet styles if that tells you anything though.

I use a turner. The temperature spikes are getting on my nerves, though.
hmm.png

I've had awesome results with local eggs or my own eggs using the LG. I've not had the best results with shipped eggs. It is a somewhat low cost option for somebody who wants to hatch eggs, but I really recommend not starting with expensive eggs. I also recommend using the egg turner. If you choose to do the hand turning, you are a slave to the eggs. Also, if you hand turn you have to open the lid a lot, and I wonder if that doesn't somehow affect the hatch rate.

I'm taking a break from hatching eggs this year, because my nerves can't handle it! I have orders in to Ideal for my chicks!

The amount of server space taken up by members post's that have problems with the LG, could fill the ocean's. Really people !!!!, the main reason people buy them is they are easy to buy retail at TSC's & Attwoods and they are cheap. Then folks post on how many problems they have with this Chinese Product, then they post ............ does anybody know a good therapist LOL. Your $$$ is better spent elsewhere.

AL

I've done fine with mine after my first attempt. The egg turner is worth it, but adds an extra degree or two of heat with the motor. I do not use a fan, but keep it in a cabinet, with little cd's under each corner to help the air flow. This helps keep the temperature more stable for me. You just have to keep a close eye on everything, versus having a model that does everything for you. I make sure both trays are filled with water, throughout the incubating, then add a sponge filled with water which you can easily rewet with a straw filled with water if you place it on the grid under the vent hole when you need more humidity for hatching. I always keep one vent hole open. If you keep a close eye on it and avoid 'tweaking' more than a smigeon at a time you'll be fine. I always remove the egg turner on day 18 and use the egg carton hatching method-- the incubating thread on here is really great, if you spend an hour reading, you will learn many helpful tips! It has really helped me.

Quote:
it does'nt matter what brand the bator is as much as learning how to hatch ,the way to learn how to hatch is to read as much as you can and hatch as much as you can. the more you hatch the more you learn the more upscale bators are for folks who do not want to go through the learning curve if you build your own bator and you understand how / what each part does you will know more how to fix/save a hatch when something goes wrong

I have little experience with LGs, but what HAS happened so far is the pits. My neighbor lent me a 30-year old Brower incubator that is a tank. Holds temps like a champ, no matter what the ambient air. I borrowed an LG 9200 from another friend for lockdown, since I had staggered hatches.

I set up the LG 36 hours in advance, watched it like a hawk to be sure it was holding temp, etc. Put the eggs in and it was ALL OVER THE PLACE. It dropped to 95 degrees one night for 8 hours, spiked to 104 and everywhere in between. It made the hatching process a million times more stressful.

Back
Top Bottom