Little Giants... Debate & Poll!

Are Little Giants really that BAD?

• No, they work fine for me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I have had a bad experience with one.

• They are OK, but not the best.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I would get rid of mine PRONTO!

• Never get one, they are a ripoff.

• I recommend an LG to anyone. They are good.

• What is an LG??

• I've never had one.

• Total voters

ChickLover98

The Chicken Princess
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Pennsylvania
So are all the bad things I heard about LGs true? I have had one succesful hatch, but a mishap with the first one. The circutry blew out and the incubator practically exploded. What do you guys think?

Those are my thoughts. I've been having problems with mine though. The temp keeps going up and I cant get it down! I had to remove one of the windows partially to keep it stable!

I can't really vote yet... we are 7 days into my first incubation with an LG still air w/ auto turner, and so far doing ok (14 or 18 eggs are still going)... had one weird spike up to 103 or maybe a bit higher, but otherwise has been ok... maybe a bit low at times. I can let you know in two weeks when I see what I get out!
smile.png
hu.gif

I'm using mine for the first time as well. Hatch date is Feb 3rd. From 16 I'm down to 4 eggs. Not great but they are E-Bay eggs that traveled across country. I'm waiting for another shipment of eggs to go in when these are done. Hope to add some local eggs to see if it's the LG or the shipping that's the problem.

I've had "several" remarkable hatches of Bobwhites with mine. Yeah, they have a bad reputation to some degree as far as reliability, but I'm about to retire one that I could rely on (building a cabinet bator), but again, mine has gotten me my money's worth. I recommend going the full mile, though............get the egg turner, and get the fan.............and you will have the most that the LG has to offer as far as reliability. One mistake I see SO MANY folks make is......buy a cheap bator, and buy a "cheap" thermometer / hygrometer.....and bash the bator for lack of consistency while expecting a tremendous hatch. If you get a cheap bator, eat bologna next week (or two), and spend that extra money on a dependable thermometer / hygrometer. MANY, MANY failures (in my opinion) happen because of dependency on cheap thermometers. We all know what a difference of +/- 2 degrees makes, right? JMHO!
smile.png

Last edited:
I like mine. bought it used for $20 off craigs list. I have been using it for 2+ years and had many a happy hatch with it.. I did add a fan and ended up removing the fan as it would not hold temp with the fan I bet if i look its holding steady at 100.2 It has chicks hatching in it right now. last time i looked 4 were out and 3 to go. It does need to be kept in a room with stable temp and draft free. I keep it in my room and it holds temp good as long as i don't up the room heat or let it get to cold in the room.

Asking about which incubator is best is like asking about which car is best. They all work if used correctly. Is a LG touchy, yup. Will they give you a good hatch rate, yup. But you have to have them set up many days before you put the eggs in. Can things go wrong with them, yup. But if you don't know how to use the best cabinet incubator on the market, you will have a bad hatch rate. Which is better a Ford or a BMW? Buy what you can afford and learn how to use it. Doing this will make you happy and you will have some great hatches.

I have 3 incubators, an LG, an Hova-Bator 1602n, and a Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco. I can tell you the LG requires the most attention of all three. I can safely say this...

If you can successfully master hatching eggs in an LG, then any other incubator is like a vacation!

I bought a used lg from a fellow bycer. It has a fan and I bought an egg turner. This is my first time hatching eggs and this is day 10. All is going well so far. I have two thermometers (one on each side of the bator under the windows) and a hydrometer. Because this is my first time, I do a lot of checking through the day of the temp and humidity. So far I have only had to fiddle with it a little bit. I will be a happy person if my 5 eggs all hatch. One I had to pull as it wasnt fertile. This is my test run as I will be hatching Javas next year so I needed the experience. I didnt want to spend a lot of money on something I may or may not use alot and am happy with my bator. I think it is personal preference, as with all things.

Back
Top Bottom