Little help please

calimo

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Visalia Ca
We are trying to create a peacock display where I work. We want to focus mainly on the males. We currently have 3 males in a pen together. (they were raised together)

With the size pen we have we want add more males. Now the problem. I know that new males don't get along with eachother. Is there a was to introduce new males without them fighting?

Sorry but not during mating season even brothers like these 2 raised together will do the dance and can be hurt pretty bad , break their beautiful train feathers or worse kill each other.

All my birds live free and they can find a place to hide from each other when they have had enough but a penned bird can not do that unless it is a very large pen.

Last edited:
These 2 boys are not brothers, but they have been raised together, they are 7 now and have been confirmed bachelors for all seven of those years. I simply cannot seem to accumulate enough hens for all my males, so bachelor pens are a necessity. These 2 get a little irritable with each other during breeding season, but they have never fought or as Zaz calls it done "the dance". I think if they are never exposed to females it is possible for males to live together peacefully even during the mating season. I do hope to someday have more hens than males, but so far mother nature has not cooperated.

The pen I currently have is roughly 1300 sq ft. we have 3 males and one female (the boss wants a male display). So he is wanting to see i we can get any more in there.....

Personally i don't think it can be done, but I'm open to ideas....

The pen I currently have is roughly 1300 sq ft. we have 3 males and one female (the boss wants a male display). So he is wanting to see i we can get any more in there.....

Personally i don't think it can be done, but I'm open to ideas....

You have enough sq. footage for a couple more, but if you leave that hen in there the males will fight over her. They will likely break their train feathers and bloody each other and they could do even worse. Bottom line they will not be a pretty display. IMO if you are going to keep more than 1 male in a pen you need to keep all hens out of it. You will still need to supervise them, because there is no guarantee they will all get along. Also, breeding season is the worst possible time to introduce males to each other, their testosterone level is at it's peak and they are aggressive. If you try to add more males at least wait until after they drop their trains, usually Nov. is when I do it if I have to.

You have enough sq. footage for a couple more, but if you leave that hen in there the males will fight over her. They will likely break their train feathers and bloody each other and they could do even worse. Bottom line they will not be a pretty display. IMO if you are going to keep more than 1 male in a pen you need to keep all hens out of it. You will still need to supervise them, because there is no guarantee they will all get along. Also, breeding season is the worst possible time to introduce males to each other, their testosterone level is at it's peak and they are aggressive. If you try to add more males at least wait until after they drop their trains, usually Nov. is when I do it.
That's kind of what i thought. I appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom