Little mutant marans cross roo

seventreesfarm

Songster
8 Years
Jun 14, 2012
Everson, WA
This little guy was hatched on Oct 6th with a batch of half homegrown eggs and half from DMRippy. His possible parentage could be - black copper marans over barred rock - or - blue copper marans over barred EE (I think that's what Donna said).

He has a straight comb, bare legs, and just the tips of his wing feathers are barred. His basic coloring looks lighter than black, but what feathers he's got on his head and neck are pretty dark. I don't see much sign of beard or muff. He's also a bit bigger than all the other chicks.

Any ideas?

The lighting is crappy, but does he look blue or black? I don't have any blue in my flock, so if he is, I'll keep him for sure for some test breeding.

He is BLUE but the barring I am not sure about. Did he have a spot on his head when he hatched. I would think his barring would be better. Maybe that is a pattern and will change. Post a picture in a few weeks. I don't think he would carry the blue egg gene. I would breed him back to a BLUE egg layer and see what you get. That is the fun of chickens.... you don't know what you will get from these crosses.

Looks like his neck feathers might look more normally barred, but they're pretty small yet. He had a spot on his head for sure at hatching. The only one who did. It's kind of a pretty pattern, but we'll see how it grows out.

Poor guy is getting a complex from me staring at him every time I do critter care.

Looks like his neck feathers might look more normally barred, but they're pretty small yet. He had a spot on his head for sure at hatching. The only one who did. It's kind of a pretty pattern, but we'll see how it grows out.

Poor guy is getting a complex from me staring at him every time I do critter care.
yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom