Little "nubs" between toes?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kanat, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Kanat

Kanat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2008
    NC
    Hello,

I just found out that one of my three Delawares has a these "nubs" between her toes (in both feet- I hope that the photo helps). She is perfectly fine with them but I was just wondering if they are going to grow, and WHAT are them??? They feel like really hard and when I pinch them it looks that they are very dark under the skin. Any idea? Normal?

It would be just nice to know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like bumblefoot, a staph infection of the foot. You need to get her cleaned up, lance that-I use an exacto craft knife dipped in alcohol, squeeze out the infection, which will probably look cheesy, slather with antibiotic ointment and bandage for a week or so, changing the bandage every two days if it gets soiled or off the sore. While healing, the birds need to be off the ground and on soft bedding.

3. Kanat

Kanat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2008
    NC
    OMG!!

I think that I can take care of the cleaning part but keeping the feet bandaged will be a challenge. May be I should keep her separated in a dog crate? How long time do you think it will take to get rid of this? Will the other chicken be affected???

Thanks so much for your help!

4. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Hold on thers a thread on here about bumble foot surgery... let me see if i can find it! meanwhile could you get a pic of the bottom of her foot?? I agree with speckled hen that it is almost certanly bumble foot... but just in case.... she should have a black scab on the bottom of her foot if its bumble foot. now wheres that thread?? be right back!

Here it is! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649 this is a good "how to"! be warned its a little graphic!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  5. Kanat

Kanat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2008
    NC
    Silkieroo!

Thank you so much to make me to look under her toes! There they were (in both legs) -the little scabs! I think that Polly has a bumble foot indeed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily I am a Registered Veterinary Technician and can take Polly tomorrow to work with me to get treated. Hopefully we can get rid of this problem ASAP!

Thanks!!!!

Suvi

6. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    No problem!! I hope your chickie makes a full recovery!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by