little sneezes OH NO!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by firedove, Mar 11, 2009.

1. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    I noticed just today that my two week old chicks are starting to give little sneezes. [​IMG] I know they need medication to get them better, I just don't know what medication? Please somebody help me out! [​IMG]

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Is it constant or sporatic? Do you notice it only at certain times like when they eat? Whats in the bottom of your brooder?

3. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    It's sporadic. I use pine shavings for bedding. Do you think it's just environmental? There is always one chick or another stirring up the shavings, dust bathing, and usually right next to the feeder where other chicks have scratched out starter into the shavings. I hadn't though something simple like environmental causes, I just automatically jumped to 'they must be sick.' [​IMG]

4. Poulets De Cajun

Well definitely dont discount the problem, and be as proactive as possible. But depending on your brand of shavings, its highly possible that the pine oils may be causing them to sneeze. Do you know if your shavings are kiln dried?

As well, what kind of feed are you feeding them. Crumbles with a lot of dust and powder could be causing them to sneeze as well.

If they continue to sneeze, try lining the brooder with play sand instead of shavings and see if that helps. If they start to look listeless and the sneezing gets worse, definitely move to a health related treatment.

5. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Thanks! I'm pretty sure the shavings I use are kiln dried but not sure 100% They are getting Blue Seal Starter which is mostly fine particles with a few larger bits of corn mixed in. The chicks love it but they sure can make a mess with it. I even use a feeder that is designed so they shouldn't be able to make a mess, but, that's what chicks do and they are extremely talented at it, lol.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Teramyacin.

7. firedove

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    Thanks Mahonri [​IMG] I will pick some up if this persists.

8. Poulets De Cajun

Quote:The problem with Teramyacin is that if she gives it to them, and they truly aren't sick, then their bodies start to build up a tolerance, and it will prove useless in the future.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree, don't use antibiotics until you're sure you have a problem. Sounds environmental to me so far. Continue to monitor for other symptoms.

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Are they near a vent or other draft source? What is the brooder temp? Are there other sources of dust or airborne junk?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by