Little Tikes Playhouse to Coop in NW IN?

That Playhouse will work great as a chicken coop. I used my daughter's Little Tikes Playhouse for our coop and the old snap together baby gates for the run. The playhouse windows and door windows were covered with hardware cloth and spring loaded hook and eyes were used for the shutters. A piece of used plywood was attached for the floor of the coop. A wooden dowel was used as a roosting bar inside the playhouse. I caulked the sides seams to prevent drafts and keep the inside of the coop dry during our winter rains. The baby gates were connected and then zip tied together to make a two baby gate high run. Connected baby gates were used for the run roof too. The roof pieces were zip tied to the side pieces. I screwed the baby gate run to the sides of the playhouse. Then I added the wood frame for the gate. I attached hardware cloth to the front peak of the baby gates and attached the bottom of the peak hardware cloth to the top door frame. I also attached hardware cloth to the back peak and screwed it into the coop roof. Any holes or gaps were covered with hardware cloth. Later I slipped another piece of plywood under the run area to make the run predator proof. Now I leave the playhouse door open and chickens have full time access to the run. In the winter I covered the run roof with heavy plastic held down with bungee cords. My first attempt with plastic became airborne in the first winter storm. I tried milk crates as nesting boxes but the chickens prefer one corner of the coop. They all lay in the same spot so I gave up on the nesting boxes. Our winters are mild - we rarely get below freezing so I didn't have to insulate but some people have used spray in insulation in the walls of the playhouse. My only regret is that I didn't make the run bigger. I am considering options for expanding the run area. This was suppose to be a temporary coop but it is working so well that it may be the permanent coop. By the way, I did this all myself. My husband was highly skeptical but after I was done he was impressed. He now says he won't poo-poo any of my ideas/possible projects because I just might go do them!

64346_img_0813.jpg

Bad news. My husband went to pick it up last night and 1. it wouldn't fit in his trunk 2. he said it was in really bad shape
sad.png
So one of our other friends is taking it. Oh well, on to the next...

When I went to pick up our playhouse it wouldn't fit in my truck either (actually SUV)

it had to be disassembled and I brought it home in 2 trips, I fit the individual wall panels in the back and I tied the roof to the roof - try taking it apart instead of heaving the whole house into the truck; it is very easy to reassemble.

good luck with your vision for your project!
wink.png

Quote:
This is the same coop we have right now- We still need to do some work to it and I want to get another one (like in the picture) for a duplex (row-house) I have 10 chicks right now and it will work for now- but I will need more space come winter.

My husband is going to insulate it with foam insulation and we will be able to put "tuff stuff" in the open cracks. I think it should be pretty warm in the winter.

Here is a picture of it in the dead of night with a heat lamp- It glows!

95142_247306_10150213183874674_630794673_6924730_1736468_n.jpg

I am so glad to see this thread! I felt like I was the only one!

Back
Top Bottom