Little worried about my Parakeet PLEASE HELP

Livvy0987

Songster
Oct 13, 2020
Colorado
Hi! I have a little parakeet named Olaf. Never had any Heath concerns what so ever. I saw his (or her) little tail was bobbing. I got concerned. I looked stuff up and it said watch out for sneezing. Sure enough he dips his head in the water a little bit and start sneezing. This is normal though, whenever he drinks or takes baths he sneezes. He’s a little bit puffy. We are trying to keep him warm because it’s -9. He is in the heated house (as usual) He seems a little bit puffed up but it’s almost the time I cover his cage up. I just want to know if I need to be concerned. He is not very old. His I moved him to a lower bar and he hopped right back up. I just want to be safe and want to know if I should be worried. Still being social just not singing. Help is greatly appreciated!

He may just be a little cold, especially if his cage is near a window. My parakeets were always generally a bit puffier in the winter. Do you let him out of the cage? He may enjoy snuggling with you, if he's finger tamed. Mine used to like burrowing under my hair, or into my cardigan.

Be sure he is not in any drafty areas, like by a window or even a heat vent. The heat vent for forced air has a fan that keeps blowing for a short time after the actual heat has stopped. You don't want that air from the fan blowing on him.
I used to keep my birds cage covered all day in the winter except the one side that faced out ward, the side he would look out.
Cold drafts is a big killer.

Hi! I have a little parakeet named Olaf. Never had any Heath concerns what so ever. I saw his (or her) little tail was bobbing. I got concerned. I looked stuff up and it said watch out for sneezing. Sure enough he dips his head in the water a little bit and start sneezing. This is normal though, whenever he drinks or takes baths he sneezes. He’s a little bit puffy. We are trying to keep him warm because it’s -9. He is in the heated house (as usual) He seems a little bit puffed up but it’s almost the time I cover his cage up. I just want to know if I need to be concerned. He is not very old. His I moved him to a lower bar and he hopped right back up. I just want to be safe and want to know if I should be worried. Still being social just not singing. Help is greatly appreciated!
You're most likely going to want to go to an avian vet. Birds (especially parrots and small birds) don't show symptoms until they're very sick or dying. The tail bobbing is very concerning because that's an indicator of being very ill. I'd bring him in as soon as possible. Even if it turns out to be just the cold, it's better then having him suddenly drop dead.

Back
Top Bottom