Live and let live, unless they KEEP coming back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the very same thing last week. I did actually catch a baby. He was such a small little thing and was looking at me so intently from the confines of the cage. I had to let him go too. Normally I do take him many many miles from home before releasing. Across the river actually, near the dump, so they aren't really close to anyone. In the past I have colored their tails with spray to identify them in case they do return. I know that they may come back, but I just can't kill them no matter how ugly they look. This little one did eat all 6 of my hens eggs she was sitting on. I can't justify taking his life for that, this time.
Jan

It's hard to kill an animal - especially one in a trap. But, IMHO it's the responsible thing to do.
Where I live possums and coons are not native but they're here now and their range continues to expand thanks to humans. We have garbage cans they love, we have pets and livestock we feed which they love to eat(pets, livestock and feed).
They are not endangered and relocating one of these animals is more cruel than killing them. Out of sight, out of mind doesn't mean it's right. It's not unlike people who take dogs, cats, puppies and kittens out to the country and drop them off.
Ask any wildlife expert and they'll tell you relocating is wrong.
Possums and coons are not only #2 and #3 predator of my chickens (after dogs) they have even broken into my back porch and basement to get at feed. I've been on a mission to trap.
The first one I caught - I called animal control to get it but they only do stray dogs and cats. They told me to call the Department of Conservation. The DoC told me to fill a trashcan with water and drop the trap in the water. I told them that sounded cruel and I'd prefer to shoot them. They said you probably can't discharge a firearm in your community so they recommended drowning as the fastest and most humane.
I hate to hear the thrashing so now I go out early in the morning, well before sunup when I'm sure no one will hear the shots and a .22 to the head and one to the heart for good measure.

Coons get the SBDITF treatment but possums get let loose. They'll eat eggs from what I've read but typically aren't the chicken killers that coons can be.

Oh yeah...
SBDITF - Shoot Bag Drop In The Freezer.

Those look like the paw prints that are on my coop. I was thinking it was the family of coons I have around. I know I have a possum that visits also. Good thing I have a secure coop. I guess it has been put to the test.
smile.png

...it's kind of cute..... of course not when it's got one of your birds in it's mouth

It would be tough to "catch and keep driving" them back to "relocate". Like any predator, once caught they will get "trap smart", and you will probably NEVER catch them again, unless severly hungry.

The painted X kinda complicated the critter when released into anothers territory with literly a bullseye on its back.....makes it kinda hard to blend in, and be camoflaged with a white bullseye....just food for thought.

I have and will continue to relocate into the ground what is necessary when caught or seen around my home, kid, and coop.

I only returned the neighbors cat twice.

There is a clear and defined line between pet or wildlife and predator. It is the fence that surrounds my property.

I have not had a loss to predator, my coops are very secure, and birds are locked up at night. But I will not take the chance.

TNT

Quote:
I think it is a question of domesticated vs. feral.
I wouldn't drive a pet cat or dog to the woods and drop it off. Or release a caged parrot into the wild. I imagine it couldn't fend for itself AT ALL. I could never work at an animal shelter. Seeing all those poor animals and knowing most will have to be put down if they aren't adoptable or if nobody is coming to adopt. But, I am glad there are places where people can take unwanted pets. Very glad. I just couldn't work there.

A feral animal though, when relocated, just has new surroundings to navigate. And as far as fighting for new territory, they will have a fight at some point in their current stomping ground as well, I'm sure. That is animal kingdom and survival of the fittest at work.

We only have 3 chickens, so our coop is small. There is not a single opening that isn't secured by 1/2" hardware cloth, plus a containment fence, plus concrete footing and buried wire underneath 4 inches of gravel for the run floor, plus a motion-sensor light (see my BYC page if you are curious). We could afford that since the coop is small. Our hens are more like pets than someone who has a huge flock of hundreds. If I had a huge flock and made my living that way, I bet I'd feel better about killing the critters who come to do damage probably because I would view it as "Business not personal."

But I'm an old softie and can't rationalize to myself killing a trapped creature who is only trying to make a living, too. See again the subject title.

Me saying I was going to relocate it was actually just an offhand remark. I didn't realize I was sparking up a contentious issue. I don't imagine I'm changing anyone's mind to begin releasing trapped animals if they don't want to. By the same token, nobody is going to make me kill such an animal. Telling me it is *cruel* to let them go, and advising me to drown it instead seems the height of absurdity. It's feral, so I'll give it a chance to make it somewhere else. Again, I never would have trapped it if it just snooped around then moved on. But, it kept on coming back and back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom