Live Lawnmowers?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by AuberyMirkwood, Apr 3, 2012.

1. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Hi guys! [​IMG]

I have about 1/4 of an acre of lawn and I'm wondering what animals or combination of animals would keep it looking mowed? This is not out of laziness or cheapness lol I just hate to see space go to waist.

So I was thinking mini whatevers. What are the grazing habits of say horses, cows, donkeys, goats, sheep, geese, or bantam chickens compared to each other? For instance I know that if you combine chickens with say cows, the chickens spread the cow patties out. I know some animals rip grass out by the roots.

So keeping mind that everything has to be in mini size, what combination would you think would work?

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Just get some goats and you'll need nothing else [​IMG] They'll keep you mowed!

I think they'd do pretty good with chickens...They don't leave big cow patties in the yard either, so the chickens wouldn't scratch up the grass. And I've seen good stories about chickens and goats together! Besides, goats are awesome! And I don't think you'd have room for a horse, or a cow, ect.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL, goats would do it. Precautions......goats will eat everything, including your bushes. Goats are escape artists, you must have a good fence. Goats will eat your chicken food, climb on your car, porch, picnic table, everything. You must trim their hooves, or have a farrier do it, and worm them. However, they are great pets and fun to have around..........Pop

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My geese do a very good job of mowing. Mine are Sebbies and also Roman tufted and some crosses... They are good natured and are also good at telling you if someone is outside. Just don't get more than two for your area or they will eat too much of it.

5. AuberyMirkwood

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Well I'll let you guys know if I end up doing something [​IMG]

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    1/4 acre really isn't enough for most animals.
    A cow needs several acres.

You can put a couple of sheep, but they will also eat any flowers, trees or shrubs you have, and if the grass doesn't grow back fast enough,, they will eat it down to bare dirt.

Goats really don't prefer grass, and you will STILL have to mow the weeds they won't eat

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    All i can tell ya is:.. I have NO friggin grass in my backyard now... none...
    I let my geese ,chickens and pigs in my yard... and they destroyed it. :/
    I feel bad, but in a couple weeks here they are all going to be kept in the big chicken pen and they can roam the woods.. until i can get my grass to grow again.....
    Then i'll feel bad, and let them loose and they'll destroy it again...
    Try ducks.. i dont think they tear up the grass soooo badly...

8. countrybuffs

countrybuffs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Silverton, Oregon
    Goats prefer brushy things to grass, if you have brush or trees you want trimmed up get goats, look for pygmy goats, they are very small and pretty cute. (I have had goats and they are entertaining, but you better have some good fences!) A couple of small sheep would eat mainly grass, stick with small breeds like Shetland or Southdown. A small pony or mini-horse makes a very good lawn mower, it will keep the grass clipped short, all of these animals will probably need some extra feed on that small of an area. A few geese or ducks would work .All these things also produce good fertilizer that you can use![​IMG]

9. philter4

philter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Placerville CA
    I have some goats and they eat everything else before they eat the grass, I an getting mouflon in June (a wild type of sheep) and they eat grass but not so much of the brush, they will be in a one acre pen and when I had a barbados sheep they kept it down to the dirt, there isn't even fallen leaves left in the fall! While brush, twigs and bark is the normal diet, a goat will eat anything if it is hungry and that includes grass so if you want a goat there is no reason to not put them in the pen but as stated, your yard isn't big enough for even a single goat so you will have to feed the goats on top of the natural feed they find themselves.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  10. AuberyMirkwood

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    :)

First let me remind everyone that I'm talking minis. Mini cows, mini goats, etc. I think people are forgeting that.

Second, I do not expect to have the lawn as their only food source. I have plently of pasture on the rest of my property.

All I am really asking is "what animals or combination of animals graze in such a way as to leave it looking like a lawn".

This lawn is just grass, fenced in with a 6' wooden privacy fence, no other landscaping such as trees, flowers, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by