Live trap not holding critters

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dixygirl, Jul 16, 2008.

1. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Help. I have a live trap set and it snapped shut twice but I always found it empty!

Am I doing something wrong or is the trap likely to be defective. There is nothing to hold the back door shut except an L shaped pin on a chain.

Please tell me how to rig it so the back part stays shut.
    Thanks

PS I am thinking i may just need to get some heavy duty wire and tie the back door shut.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    What are u trying to trap??? Sounds like u got a raccoon that's smart enough to trip the trap without getting caught....

3. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    I want to trap everything i can.
    Edit to add That may not sound right but it is big enough to hold the foxes, the racoons and possusms can also go if possible. [​IMG]

Do you think that getting caught will scare them and they will go away anyhow?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  4. nautical_bouy

nautical_bouy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Beaver PA
    Try adding a pair of #2 twin coil traps outside the live trap.

5. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    I lost one coon once to the trap opening. THe trap had been rolled by the animal and that allowed the catch to slip. I solved the problem by putting the trap on a board platform and then using a heavy rubber tie down strap to hold the trap on the platform. No matter how much they toss they can not roll the trap now. Have not lost a catch since.

Tie down goes on top of the cage but make sure it does not interfere with chain or cable and the handle slide.

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:Wishful thinking. Animals can be quite determined. It may however, scare them enough not to go back into the trap. Which is probably worse..

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by