Live Trap

Bosque

Songster
10 Years
May 12, 2009
Arizona
What is the best bait for a live trap?
Monday morning something, maybe a bobcat, domestic cat, raccoon pulled apart some PVC poultry netting that I had around my pheasant pen. I cannot find any fur or tracks, but something pulled apart the netting and mulled my two pheasants. They both died moments after I found them. Lesson learnt, even in an urban setting, ALWAYS use welded wire for the netting of a pen.
Thanks for any insite.
Bosque

I know it sounds horrible, but one of the bodies would work. Hope this helps, and I'm sorry for your loss.

I have really good success with dry cat food. Have caught raccoons, possums and a fox with it (and cats and chickens) Tonight I got to thinking that I need to pick up a bag of "Special Kitty" cheap stuff to trap with......shouldn't be feeding the preds my cat's expensive Taste of the Wild!!
Canned cat food, tuna, sardines, eggs, last night's pork chop bones, raw chicken, etc......anything really. In my area using "meat" (whether bodies or store bought) isn't really a great idea because it attracts biting ants worse than the other stuff does.

Raccoons will go for mashmallows - that cat's won't go for (not that they are a problem themselves, but if the trap has a cat inside it already then it can't catch the raccoon). I think Possums can also be caught on fruit without attracting cats.

Last edited:
We have caught 15 raccoons on our farm this year. Caught the first 11 with fish and cat food - changed to marshmallows and caught the next 4. Some raccoons have a sweet tooth.. A combination of both works best.

Quote:
Yeah, chances are what ever got to the birds will be back for their dinner.

Back
Top Bottom