Live Trap

so far this year I've caught:

coon - half eaten chicken leg
opossum - egg roll
coon - marshmallow
coon - el cheapo canned cat food

I have heard from 2 trapper friends that marshmallows were there go to bait for coons. Hope that helps!

Thanks everyone. Tonight I will try using my left over steak and if I dont catch anything, then tomorrow I will try the wet cat food.

I wish that I knew exactly what I was trying to trap
sad.png

Hi Bosque, Where are you located within AZ, that might help narrow it down? I'm in Tucson and I've heard stories of raccoons in the middle of town here (saw it on local news) and a friend of a friend keeps getting his prized fish eaten from a pond by raccoons (prints everwhere). I haven't seen one though.

I have been using fresh sweet corn. Right time of the year. Getting chicken killers and saving my corn at the same time. Got 6 of the masked buggers in the last three weeks.

Gallo del Cielo ,

Im in NW Tucson.

I have baited the live trap everynight and nothing. Tonight I baited the trap with peanutbutter and wet cat food. If I dont catch anything tonight, I think that maybe it was just a domestic cat that wanted to kill my pheasants. Food doesnt seem to be the draw.
hmm.png

Bosque

Hi Bosque, I wonder if you have a bobcat. They certainly are over in your area. I have a friend that lives near Orange Grove and Oracle and he sees a bobcat in his yard every couple of days. In that case, I don't think wet cat food will do the trick for the trap. On the other hand, it would if it's a raccoon or domestic cat. It also could be an owl. I see one on the utility pole in the back alley often at night. They are good at getting into things. Sometimes descriptions of the damage can help identify the predator. Please keep us updated on what happens.

In the sweet corn fields where we use live traps, I had ran out of marshmells one night, so I used POP CANS... Raccons love something shiny! Still caught lots of the little buggers using just pop cans in the livetrap.

I used to leave baited traps out year round, but I was afraid that if I wasnt having a problem at the time, that the smell of the bait would draw them in...

Im starting to have any issue with something killing my ducks and full grown marans pullets. I think its a coyote jumping the fence again, as nothing is getting caught in the traps... Time to put the donkey back out with the chickens for a while!

Nate

Nate,

How do you know if it is a coyote if nothing is in your trap? How high is your fence? Can coyotes jump really high? Are there any signs that prove that it is a coyote?

Last night, I used peanutbutter and a can of wet cat food to bait my live trap and again nothing. It has been a week since my pheasants were killed and I have baited everynight. I just dont get it...

Bosque

Back
Top Bottom