Livid beyond words *rant alert*

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sonia, Aug 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    My neighbors dogs keep coming to my house and have killed three young turkeys and two kittens in the last few days. The neighbor refuses to tie or pen their dogs. Ggranted my critters have not been penned either however, I have personally seen the dogs come into my yard and snatch my birds. I am building pens as quickly as financially possible but today the dogs have been here no less than five times and even grabbed my daughters maltese puppy by the throat (he is ok). I am not able to do anything directly to the dogs or the neighbor. Is there anything I can do to deter these creatures until I can get pens built?

2. lilchickenz

lilchickenz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    Take a photo or video of them on your property and call animal control.

3. Sonia

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    There is no animal control here. Sheriff says shoot them but this individual is my landlord. I cannot risk losing my house. I'm looking for a temporary deterrant

4. lilchickenz

Jul 21, 2013
    Oh that's an awful situation. Spray them with pepper spray maybe? That might make them think twice about coming back.

5. Sonia

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    I can't get that close. These dogs associate me with thrown rocks

6. Sonia

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    Make that six times today.

7. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Man that puts you in a hard spot. How old are your kids? I'd actually be concerned for the safety of small kids too as it seems to be targeting anything smaller than it that moves.
    Not a safe animal to have around.

Really your a bit stuck because its the dog or the property isn't it. Fencing is really all I can think of but that's not much help is it.

Are there air guns or such that will hurt enough to scare but not injure?

8. stlcards

stlcards Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    Missouri
    I'd say a pellet gun would do the trick, at least until your pens are built

9. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Actually you know when we were kids the neighbours dog was always in our yard and the owner who was a solicitor thought he was above the law and wouldn't pen it.

My parents put up an electric fence but he just ignored it. They were telling my uncle who is a farmer and he said he would fix it. He brought round his home made bull fence which put out a hell of a shock it you touched it. The dog only tried one more time. It touched the wire, let out a hell of a yelp and never came back. Not even after the bull fence went back home and it was just regular electric fence again.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  10. lilchickenz

Jul 21, 2013
    Hmmm. Ok maybe try some white vinegar in a water gun. I've seen water guns that can squirt quite a distance. Get them right in the face with the vinegar and yell at them to get away. They do sound like they're persistent tho so I don't know whether that'll work. I hope you get it worked out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by