Living off site

Kenley

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2020
Hello friends,
We just purchased 36 acres that we plan to build a house and move to as soon as we can get it done. It has two 3 acre ponds and is partially wooded. It has a shed that could easily work well for a coop. There is a small cabin that we can spend weekends at (not big enough for our family to live in full time - which we will eventually use as a guest house).
anyway, I’m dying to start raising ducks and I’m wondering if anyone raises animals but doesn’t live right on site? It’s about 15-20 minute from our current home (in an HOA which doesn’t allow any backyard livestock.. period - I’ve tried). our plan is to be out there nearly every day, so my question is; would I be able to have ducks successfully in that situation?
I’ve been told one of our new country neighbors has chickens and sheep but lives in town, but I’m yet to make contact with her personally to ask more about her routine. I know it’s not ideal, but I was wondering if anyone else had a situation where they had to live away from the flock?? Or spent a lot of time away?? TIA.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Poultry need to be watched over all through out the day so it is best you live on site or very close by. If you can stop by at the crack of dawn to feed, water and clean, stopping by a few times a day to check on them and again to get them to bed, it might work.

Good luck and welcome to our community!

Hi just as everyone else suggested, it would be best to wait since you’ll get addicted and want to see them all the time. But also to be able to protect them from predators. Like things happen even if you live there, but the risk increases if you don’t live nearby.

On another note, I’m so jealous! 3 acre pond! That’s awesome! I have a similar size property but it has some houses and structures in it and no ponds, and not as many trees as I would have liked, so it looks smaller and more open than if it was a nice wooded area with a pond and a cabin. One day that’s my dream 😊

Hi just as everyone else suggested, it would be best to wait since you’ll get addicted and want to see them all the time. But also to be able to protect them from predators. Like things happen even if you live there, but the risk increases if you don’t live nearby.

On another note, I’m so jealous! 3 acre pond! That’s awesome! I have a similar size property but it has some houses and structures in it and no ponds, and not as many trees as I would have liked, so it looks smaller and more open than if it was a nice wooded area with a pond and a cabin. One day that’s my dream 😊

Yes, I think that’s absolutely the biggest issue, even if we did have and morning and evening routine of being there, predators are gonna be a concern for sure, and the guilt of letting them be sitting ducks, no pun intended🙃, would rip my heart out. Waiting is definitely the best decision. Got a little too eager for a minute.
Thank you! we have the same with trees, part of it is very overgrown with invasives (hoping the rental goat clean up crew Is a success this summer) and the other part is barren - previously farmed - bu try Has tons of potential. We’ve gotta tend to the algae overgrowth due to all the farm chemical run off flowing right into it and causing an over abundance of blooms.. but it definitely does feel like a treat to get to have. We are just getting started and new to all of it, so it’s bound to be an experience learning how to make it thriving. (Any pond experts out there?? Haha) So far hunters and fishermen seem to be there hardest invaders to manage. 😏😆

Back
Top Bottom