Living off Social Security

I just.idk. It hurts me to see people like feeling the need to tell other people they are fine people and not addicted or do anything silly!

That's a bit of the problem. People think too much it is your own fault if you are poor. How many times I had to tell people I'm not on drugs... and no... I don't have debts, and no this and that... I just had bad luck by getting a disease that everye person on earth can suddenly have. But like someone said; once in the system.. ánd I guess it is more easy to think I am on drugs; because if not it could happen to them too and that is scary :O

Anyone on here in a same situation; please don't forget that you have many qualities and are not less human then other people.

When I became eligible for Medicare I felt I could not afford the $134 (now $185!)deduction from my SS benefit. I was going to decline Part B even though I knew it was a terrible decision. Then I learned about the Qualified Medicare Beneficiary program which helps pay Medicare costs for low income people. It was simple to enroll through Social Security and I pay nothing for part B. Below is a link for more info... or you could just contact your local Social Security office.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclop...individuals-that-help-pay-medicare-costs.html

One could also look into Medicare
Advantage plans, though pre-existing conditions are a problem there.

One could also look into Medicare
Advantage plans, though pre-existing conditions are a problem there.
Depending on what state you live in, there are income guidelines that your state will cover some or all of your Medicare part B costs if your income is below a certain amount. I don't have any idea how that works in other countries.

When I became eligible for Medicare I felt I could not afford the $134

Thank you! I will check into this. I already get Medicare Extra Help, which pays the copay for my meds, so I hope I qualify. Of course if I do, they will reduce my food stamps. That would be fine with me but I have a son living with me. I did have a very small pension, but I took a lump sum and bought a used truck from my stepfather. It had 20,000 miles on it. I am so grateful for that!

Ok I took Social Security earlier than I planned... Grandma passed at 103 in her sleep she had a fabulous life. I am still living in her house while I handle the estate. Technically its my sons house. He is selling it.

In June I had Gastric sleeve surgery and have lost now 100+ pounds. Cant eat more then seven ounces 100+ more to go. Not quite halfway.

So I have embarked on a Canning Adventure. So rather than bore everyone who has read my thread posts I started a Canning and Preserving Thread. I am still very new to it have been reading boat loads and Bought books

I have pressure canned now Once. Turkey broth.
I have water bath canned: Apple butter, Cranberry sauce...
And I have made Four quarts of Ghee. Use one when I made thanksgiving dinner. Butter cant be pressure canned... but it has a shelf live of six months to a year. So i am freezing what I don't use in the next few months.

The link to the thread is at the bottom of my signature.

deb

I was just thinking about you today and wondering how you were doing!
Pretty well. The weight loss surgery was life changing for sure... just now starting to normalize my routine.

But when I move home I will be on my own. 19 acres and a ramshakle house I have to rebuild. I was away from it for twelve years. It needs serious rehabbing for sure. But its mine and its paid for...

I moved my horse to a retire ment facility about five years ago. I am on the fence for bringing her back. She needs a friend if she is going to finish out her days here... And I need to find a Farrier that will come out when its time for a trim. That one has been my bane all along.

But if I do bring her home I will probably get her a Llama or a miniature Steer. Something I can trim their hooves myself.

deb

Ok I took Social Security earlier than I planned... Grandma passed at 103 in her sleep she had a fabulous life. I am still living in her house while I handle the estate. Technically its my sons house. He is selling it.

In June I had Gastric sleeve surgery and have lost now 100+ pounds. Cant eat more then seven ounces 100+ more to go. Not quite halfway.

So I have embarked on a Canning Adventure. So rather than bore everyone who has read my thread posts I started a Canning and Preserving Thread. I am still very new to it have been reading boat loads and Bought books

I have pressure canned now Once. Turkey broth.
I have water bath canned: Apple butter, Cranberry sauce...
And I have made Four quarts of Ghee. Use one when I made thanksgiving dinner. Butter cant be pressure canned... but it has a shelf live of six months to a year. So i am freezing what I don't use in the next few months.

The link to the thread is at the bottom of my signature.

deb

Perchie.girl wow. This gave me a tear. Probably because it is so reconizable; allthough we live on the other side of the world.

I see me in you. Or vica versa. And I see what I am doing wrong; because you are doing it too. You have loads of bad luck happenping to you; keep activaley changing..but noone notices? I mean you kinda say "sorry" on here for being you? I do that too. Keep thinking I'm a burden and start stuff with "I'm sorry I know I must be annoying/stupid/etc". And you are not. You know what those haters are doing ATM? Definately not doing something as cool as going full on pressure canning.. they think they are perfect and never need to "learn" something. They watch dumb TV and go to sleep; and wonder why they don't have a skill when old and grumpy. If I'm correct you can now make jewelry, and can now make canned goods, know your stuff about food and horses..because YOU did that. You keep trying to better yourselve. Learn. That is the best trait someone can have. It might feel that you don't have an other choice to do this to get out of this situaion and make a better life for you and your loved ones; but guuurrrl you are already living it. Due to this your life is already better then those lazy no-skilled nay-sayers. Because you move and gain and work; while they be sitting all sour; wishing that they could do what you do. They jelly but are too lazy to open an wikipedia page about how to can goods; just want it to magically come to them.
And that is not about work like we know it. Allthough they will often say "yeah but I am better because alteast I have work". You have your job-work and life-work. Gaining other skills in life then job-work is work too.

The next thing I say migh be taking it too far. But hey.. where are they when a war/disaster happeneds when they can't get to their job that gives them so much self-worth? Well not knowing how to grow your own crops/cattle or canning stuf.. and live.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom