1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Living With Chickens *LOTS Of Pics*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BirdBoy88, Nov 6, 2008.

1. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Hey everyone i am finally back after a long month from BYC i am VERY happy to be back [​IMG]

But while i was away i was out of town for a few days visiting family and i ran across an old book store very old and knowing me i could never walk pass any book store i went in to look around...

well they didn't have much on what i normally like but i did find one book..i ask the store lady if she had any books on farm animals and she told me she had only one book in the back it was about chickens so i shouted SOLD!..lol it was only $2 great price

so when i did get home i read the book and it has ALOT of info about chickens and lots of pics ..almost a pics on each page so i took pics of the book and some of the pages just to give you all an idea of what it looks like and everything [​IMG]

The name of the book is: Living With Chickens

The book didn't have a cover so i took pics of the Title:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Contents:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nesting Boxes:

[​IMG]

Stages:

[​IMG]

Chicks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How to tell if a Hen is laying yet or not:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Butchering:

[​IMG]

Plucking

[​IMG]

Belly incision & pulling out the guts

[​IMG]

Cutting off feet & Cutting oil glands

[​IMG]

Dresses rooster

[​IMG]

Coop location First 2 BAD choices - third GOOD choice

[​IMG]

Mating:

[​IMG]

Hen ready to lay Fertile egg

[​IMG]

Incubating:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rooster:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    You got a great deal! [​IMG]

I have this book - it's awesome.

3. Adri

Adri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Welcome back.

I have the softcover version of that book. My husband picked it up at the local TSC store. I love it. While I was waiting for chicks this past spring, I read it cover to cover in just a couple of days. And we refer to it often now.

4. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Great book! What's the guy doing in the butchering pic, is he snapping the roos neck??

5. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    This is the first chicken book I picked up - it is in my little local library. I was encouraged by the chicken and pig photographs thinking on how cool it is for mixed species to live together, but I have since read many posts here about pigs snatching up and eating chickens... Since I don't even eat chicken, I wouldn't want my pig to either! (assuming I had a pig, minor technicality)

6. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Thanks [​IMG]

and yes it's an awesome book i am so glad i have it now it's one of my favorites i just love it

and yes i had my doubts about the pig thing to..lol if i do ever get a pig it most likely wont be living in the coop..lol

TaLani: yup he his..... most people just chop the heads off but some do just snap the neck first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by