2 Shell-less eggs in one day?

Christie311

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2023
Hi all! I have a 23 week old Olive Egger that has been laying what I would call normal eggs for a couple of weeks. This morning she laid her normal egg and I collected it from the nesting box. This evening she seemed puffed up like something was wrong. A short while later she laid a shell-less egg in the run with no clucking or singing. I thought she might perk up but still didn't seem right so I took her out and looked at her vent, to me it looks normal but it's the first time I have checked it, it looks like photos from my books of normal vents. Anyway, we put her down to walk outside and within a few minutes she laid a second shell-less egg but it was malformed, not looking like an egg shape. After, she did seem to look better, not so puffed and she was hunting around, it's her bed time so I couldn't observe much more. Do you think she is working out some kinks with laying? or is there an issue? I didn't know she could lay three eggs in a day! They are fed Cluck Co organic starter and layer mixed (last week I mixed them this week it's just layer feed) she has access to oyster shells and grit. They free range for an hour or more per day. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_6507.jpg
    IMG_6507.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_6505.jpg
    IMG_6505.jpg
    628.7 KB · Views: 18
This happened to one of my easter eggers about a week after she started laying. She did it for 2 days (3 soft shell/Membrane eggs) and I haven't seen them again and she's laying perfectly normal now for a week. Mine also just plopped em out while walking in the run🤣🤣 I watched her and was like what the heck, all at the same time the other chickens were eating the shell-less one she laid a bit prior haha. So don't be alarmed if they eat the thin shelled or membrane encased egg, I think mine were curious and pecked at it and it busted open and they ate only the yolk, they don't eat the whites supposedly. So, all in all I wouldn't worry too much it's normal for this to occur on n off for new layers ❤️

Last edited:
Thank you all so much! So far she has only had one or two other soft ones and the rest all seem to be normal. Plus she is acting just fine. I think maybe just working out the kinks of laying!

OK. This is good to know, because I have only one Easter Egger that hasn't laid yet. At least I'll know if something strange happens. I am giving all my chickens calcium in the form of oyster pellets mixed with their food. So, hopefully, that might make a difference? This is Joy, my 24 week old Easter Egger. I call her my "glamour girl." She DOES like looking in the mirror! Here, she's posing on top of the main food bucket!

Attachments

• IMG_4945.JPG
    IMG_4945.JPG
    466.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4823.JPG
    IMG_4823.JPG
    336.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4900.JPG
    IMG_4900.JPG
    371.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4784.JPG
    IMG_4784.JPG
    546.5 KB · Views: 11
OK. This is good to know, because I have only one Easter Egger that hasn't laid yet. At least I'll know if something strange happens. I am giving all my chickens calcium in the form of oyster pellets mixed with their food. So, hopefully, that might make a difference? This is Joy, my 24 week old Easter Egger. I call her my "glamour girl." She DOES like looking in the mirror! Here, she's posing on top of the main food bucket!
She is beautiful! I had another hen do a shelless egg last week but they are all new layers and since then I haven't had any more and everyone seems just fine. It's good to know that can happen when starting out!

Hi all! I have a 23 week old Olive Egger that has been laying what I would call normal eggs for a couple of weeks. This morning she laid her normal egg and I collected it from the nesting box. This evening she seemed puffed up like something was wrong. A short while later she laid a shell-less egg in the run with no clucking or singing. I thought she might perk up but still didn't seem right so I took her out and looked at her vent, to me it looks normal but it's the first time I have checked it, it looks like photos from my books of normal vents. Anyway, we put her down to walk outside and within a few minutes she laid a second shell-less egg but it was malformed, not looking like an egg shape. After, she did seem to look better, not so puffed and she was hunting around, it's her bed time so I couldn't observe much more. Do you think she is working out some kinks with laying? or is there an issue? I didn't know she could lay three eggs in a day! They are fed Cluck Co organic starter and layer mixed (last week I mixed them this week it's just layer feed) she has access to oyster shells and grit. They free range for an hour or more per day. What do you think?
One of my barred rock hens has been doing just as you described. For almost a week she's been laying shell-less eggs and today two. She was puffed up right before the first one and has been standing off away from the others. What happened with yours? Is she healthy again? All the vets I've called are booked 2 weeks out.

Back
Top Bottom