living with CRD

TheVanVrank_hens

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2020
Chickens have a mild cough/sniffle thing, vet said it’s probably mycoplasmosis - treating with tetracycline in their water. They will most definitely recover just fine.
But, my question is: what now?
I guess this never goes away, and forever my flock will be infected.
I don’t breed (don’t even have a rooster), but what if I ever want to get chicks to replenish my flock down the line?
I am told I need to “close my flock” no birds in or out. I never really did anyway, tried to practice good biosecurity, we don’t show chickens or share them or anything. I’m just so unsure of what to do in the future.
I’d love to hear from other backyard chicken owners who have CRD in their flock and how they deal with it - I read it’s in 60% of backyard flocks so I know I’m not alone!

@TheVanVrank_hens
I'm in the same position with similar questions/thoughts. I'll wait and watch how things go, see if they thrive, and then decide.

Did they respond well to the tetracycline? Mine didn't — not sure if it's bronchitis instead of mycoplasma then, or if it's bc they don't absorb the tetracycline in water very well. :confused:

@TheVanVrank_hens
I'm in the same position with similar questions/thoughts. I'll wait and watch how things go, see if they thrive, and then decide.

Did they respond well to the tetracycline? Mine didn't — not sure if it's bronchitis instead of mycoplasma then, or if it's bc they don't absorb the tetracycline in water very well. :confused:
They did respond well to the tetracycline and have no more symptoms.
But they haven’t laid even one egg since
😕

Did you get it confirmed MG? There are a lot of other diseases that can mock MG symptoms such as Infectious Coryza, Infectious Laryngotracheitis Virus, Infectious Bronchitis, etc. While MG is chronic - meaning symptoms will reappear within stressful events - it can be managed with antibiotics whenever symptoms show up. It is possible that MG is an epidemic in your area, which may make it impossible to avoid, even if you choose to start over. It’s recommended to keep a closed flock to avoid spreading of the disease to others.

Did you get it confirmed MG? There are a lot of other diseases that can mock MG symptoms such as Infectious Coryza, Infectious Laryngotracheitis Virus, Infectious Bronchitis, etc. While MG is chronic - meaning symptoms will reappear within stressful events - it can be managed with antibiotics whenever symptoms show up. It is possible that MG is an epidemic in your area, which may make it impossible to avoid, even if you choose to start over. It’s recommended to keep a closed flock to avoid spreading of the disease to others.
Yes I know all this. Vets are not privatized here. The vet specifically advised *not* to get it confirmed bc it's reportable and would require to cull the whole flock.

I have CRD in my flock. When they first developed respiratory symptoms, I was worried that I would have a flock of constantly sick birds and would not be able to add any more birds to my existing flock. However, this has not been the case. They have never been sick since the original onset of illness (6 years ago). I even add a few new chickens to my flock almost every year and they have never developed respiratory symptoms.

Just because you have a respiratory disease in your flock, does not mean your chickens can't live long healty lives or that you will constantly be treating sick birds. I have 9 and 10 year old chickens in my flock that are still going strong. However, I do not sell or give away any of my birds. I would not want to potentially infect other flocks.

I also have a respiratory disease in my flock. Since the initial infection 4 years ago I've had to treat 2 other times. I do add new chickens knowing they could get it, but I will not re-home, I cull if necessary. If anyone that has chickens comes over I inform them & don't let them near my flock & I do not visit anyone with chickens.

I didn't send anything out to the lab so I don't know what exactly it is, Tylan takes care of it & the only symptoms are sneezing & a bit of a congested/wheezing sound. No discharge or bubbles or anything.

@BrickCoop15 This sounds like an ideal outcome. Fingers crossed. :fl

@Sueby Sounds good. Symptoms are the same here, very mild. I'm currently trying to decide if a round of oral Tylan50 (which I'd have to order online) is safe or even worth it after 2 rounds of oxytetracycline powder in water failed (10 days on as prescribed by vet which seemed to be working at first, then 1 week off with reinfection and playing phone tag with vet, then another 14 days on). I don't know if they weren't absorbing the oxytetracycline, if I stopped too soon the first round and created a resistant strain during that 7 day break, or if it's infectious bronchitis instead in which case antibiotics are pointless. :confused: I'm worried prolonged symptoms will impact egg production later, but also worried about the impacts of prolonged antibiotic roulette. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom