1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lizards

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SussexChicks, Mar 15, 2013.

1. SussexChicks

SussexChicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Has anyone given small lizards to their chickens like geckos and other small lizards to growing chicks? Are lizards even good for growing chicks? I have recently given a small to medium sized gecko to my growing chicks and they were fighting for it till one of them devoured it

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Personally, I wouldn't seek them out to feed to chickens because I know at least certain kinds are toxic to cats and dogs. I have no idea if the same is true for chickens, though. But I've had cats eat our little chameleons and get ataxic. I've also had some cats die or disappear for unknown reasons, so I wonder if this might be a cause.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Lizards can carry Salmonella. I wouldn't seek them out intentionally to feed the chickens because of that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by