LLama as a flock guardian?? Need Input!

Wow. I guess ours are more skittish here. We have only had problems with hawks here but their are coyotes around. They stay away because of our fence
they are here in NC, too. But yeah, i'm moving to Phoenix area and i need to have some sort of LG animal (pref. llamas) or my livestock will be torn up out there. Fence or no fence :(

My experience with coyotes is the easier meal will be attacked. Just make your fence and yard more defensible than your neighbour.
right. they are opportunists. But where I'm purchasing land, all my neighbors will have is vegetables and other plant life. No other livestock for miles. They're really going to be the only "opportunity" out there.. :(

right. they are opportunists. But where I'm purchasing land, all my neighbors will have is vegetables and other plant life. No other livestock for miles. They're really going to be the only "opportunity" out there.. :(
Why not build the coop off the ground? If they cant dig under they cant get in. No thumbs :D

Hmmmm. I have had llamas (male and female) for guardians of goats (when I was in high school), they were in the field with the goats and the coyotes stayed away. We also had dogs, but they were closer to the house and not in the field. The llamas were easy going, but skittish and kept to themselves. There may be fiber fanatics in your area that would sheer your llamas, saving you the problem. I don't know what the actual recommendation is, but I know my dad never sheered those llamas, the coats were quite big after a couple years, but they had babies and didn't seem troubled. They had shade and lots of water in 35-40*C weather (Vernon, BC, Canada). Word of warning the male MUST be separated when the female is due.

Hmmmm. I have had llamas (male and female) for guardians of goats (when I was in high school), they were in the field with the goats and the coyotes stayed away. We also had dogs, but they were closer to the house and not in the field. The llamas were easy going, but skittish and kept to themselves. There may be fiber fanatics in your area that would sheer your llamas, saving you the problem. I don't know what the actual recommendation is, but I know my dad never sheered those llamas, the coats were quite big after a couple years, but they had babies and didn't seem troubled. They had shade and lots of water in 35-40*C weather (Vernon, BC, Canada). Word of warning the male MUST be separated when the female is due.
Thank you for the input!! Very useful. It seems that im finding people are suggesting just the presence of these larger alert animals will deter coyotes quite effectively, which is absolutely ideal. Yes, im not sure id get a M and F. If i did have more than 1 I would def want multiple females, which I would absolutely consider. Its not my goal to have lonely animals

Just a question - have you thought of getting a livestock guardian dog instead of a llama? Llamas require similar (of course not the same but ya know) care to goats and sheep, which the LGDs would bond to. Plus, goats and sheep can provide wool, meat, and milk, if you so choose, than a llama in the long run. Mix them in with the chickens and the LGD will protect'em. :)

Just a question - have you thought of getting a livestock guardian dog instead of a llama? Llamas require similar (of course not the same but ya know) care to goats and sheep, which the LGDs would bond to. Plus, goats and sheep can provide wool, meat, and milk, if you so choose, than a llama in the long run. Mix them in with the chickens and the LGD will protect'em. :)
Thanks for the response. I have. I already have a dog, and I absolutely love dogs, but I'm not wanting to work with another one on my property, mostly because of the noise (very loud barking). My property will have constant activity from coyotes, hence a lot of barking. So I'm just trying to avoid that altogether.

Thanks!!!

Thanks for the response. I have. I already have a dog, and I absolutely love dogs, but I'm not wanting to work with another one on my property, mostly because of the noise (very loud barking). My property will have constant activity from coyotes, hence a lot of barking. So I'm just trying to avoid that altogether.

Thanks!!!

Ah, I see. How about electric fencing? It's a cost, I know, but I suspect that it'd be easier than a llama. :p

Back
Top Bottom