LLama as a flock guardian?? Need Input!

m1chelle1

Crowing
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 12, 2017
East Central Florida
Hello All!!
So ive been considering a livestock guardian, and I am leaning towards a Llama, to guard a mixed flock.
I am not considering a LGD at this time.:fl
So, my real question here is:
1. Has anyone known/seen/heard of Llamas bonding with and protecting a flock of any kind of poultry?

I know they bond well with sheep and goats, but I am just as a loss as to if anyone has even heard of them protecting a flock of poultry. I cannot for the life of me find any references to it anywhere. It would be to defend mostly against coyote. And I know Llamas do well with coyote.:caf
I know donkeys do well too, info on that would be appreciated as well. I figure if a donkey could protect chickens, then a llama might be able to???
Idk

Any references or knowledge on this would be super helpful!!:bow
:wee:wee

Thanks all
M:bun

We looked into that for awhile. I think it would work? Maybe if you had a sheep/goat or two in with your chickens it would work better.
that is a very good/valid point. Idk. it makes me think about i was reading up on Llamas as livestock guardians and they said that if you pair a llama with Another llama, they will pack together and not protect anything because they only care about the "llama herd". I wonder if they would do that with the sheep? Like pair up with them and only protect the sheep herd and not look out for the roaming poultry? Im just not sure

If the poultry and the llama are in the same paddock you should be fine. The llama isn't going to "protect" the poultry but it will protect itself. My friend had two adult females and an intact male, along with their two crias (babies) and a small herd (eight or nine) miniature horses in a pasture. Coyotes would literally walk the property line versus cutting through the pasture when Jeffrey (her male llama) was on the property. It took them almost a year to be brave enough to cut through it when she sold them. Keep in mind a male llama can also be very aggressive towards you. Jeffrey and I had an uneasy truce but multiple times I've seen him knock my friend to the ground and then just stomp and grind in order to inflict as much damage as he could.

If the poultry and the llama are in the same paddock you should be fine. The llama isn't going to "protect" the poultry but it will protect itself. My friend had two adult females and an intact male, along with their two crias (babies) and a small herd (eight or nine) miniature horses in a pasture. Coyotes would literally walk the property line versus cutting through the pasture when Jeffrey (her male llama) was on the property. It took them almost a year to be brave enough to cut through it when she sold them. Keep in mind a male llama can also be very aggressive towards you. Jeffrey and I had an uneasy truce but multiple times I've seen him knock my friend to the ground and then just stomp and grind in order to inflict as much damage as he could.
ok. Good to know. I was thinking along the same lines as what you said about well if they are in the same area, the llama will at least try to protect itself. So i guess its good to know that itll defend against coyotes regardless

All llamas may not, just like all leghorns aren't flighty. But in general I would say that most llamas (especially males) are quite adept at protecting themselves and their herd from coyotes. That being said I also know people who have lost llamas to large hunting groups of coyotes.

All llamas may not, just like all leghorns aren't flighty. But in general I would say that most llamas (especially males) are quite adept at protecting themselves and their herd from coyotes. That being said I also know people who have lost llamas to large hunting groups of coyotes.

Right. OK, i had read that a single llama cannot take on groups of coyotes or wolves, they do well defending against a Single coyote and such. So i guess that checks, too.

I did recently read that a pair of female llamas do well to defend against predators. Do you have any knowledge on this? I know youve been saying that the males are the aggressive ones, and i had read that too. But im kind of curious about females.

I 100% understand that not all animals are the same and not all llamas will even be aggressive, its like chickens. They all have their own personalities and temperaments, regardless of breed. But they generally have "reputations" and all :)

Since llamas are pack animals if you are considering getting one you need to have more than one. They will protect the property but not the chickens. If the chickens are on the property they will protect them. Realistically having a large animal like a llama on the property will deter most predators. A llama wont defend against anything larger than a coyote so dont expect it to take down a mountain lion. They eat and poop a lot. They also need their coats maintained and sheared annually. Shearing can take an hour for someone experienced but several hours for a green horn. In all honesty if you aren't really sold on getting one I would say dont. Just put up a fence. Coyotes wont go near or over fences that are 4 feet high. You can get away with a simple cedar wood and welded wire fence.

...which you would need a fence ANYWAY for the llamas. So unless you plan on keeping them for fleece just put a fence.

Since llamas are pack animals if you are considering getting one you need to have more than one. They will protect the property but not the chickens. If the chickens are on the property they will protect them. Realistically having a large animal like a llama on the property will deter most predators. A llama wont defend against anything larger than a coyote so dont expect it to take down a mountain lion. They eat and poop a lot. They also need their coats maintained and sheared annually. Shearing can take an hour for someone experienced but several hours for a green horn. In all honesty if you aren't really sold on getting one I would say dont. Just put up a fence. Coyotes wont go near or over fences that are 4 feet high. You can get away with a simple cedar wood and welded wire fence.

...which you would need a fence ANYWAY for the llamas. So unless you plan on keeping them for fleece just put a fence.
Thank you for the input. Yes, i am serious about having a (potentially 2) llama(s). I just was needing input on what/when they will defend and some clarity on if they would bon with other non similar animals (such as poultry)

With regards to coyotes. Im not sure where in the US you live, but in Phoenix AZ and surrounding desert areas, Coyotes are well known for scaling 6' walls and are very serious predators to most medium to small animals including aggressive back yard dogs. The scale 6' walls often, just to eat peoples' pet dogs. Its very common. So, no. Not even 6' brick walls keep coyotes at bay in certain areas.

Thank you for the input. Yes, i am serious about having a (potentially 2) llama(s). I just was needing input on what/when they will defend and some clarity on if they would bon with other non similar animals (such as poultry)

With regards to coyotes. Im not sure where in the US you live, but in Phoenix AZ and surrounding desert areas, Coyotes are well known for scaling 6' walls and are very serious predators to most medium to small animals including aggressive back yard dogs. The scale 6' walls often, just to eat peoples' pet dogs. Its very common. So, no. Not even 6' brick walls keep coyotes at bay in certain areas.
Wow. I guess ours are more skittish here. We have only had problems with hawks here but their are coyotes around. They stay away because of our fence

Back
Top Bottom