llama reguratation

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by nop169, Jan 15, 2011.

1. nop169

nop169 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Hi all,
    I have a friend with a llama that has begun to cough/choke & regurgatate while eating grain - I am limited in knowledge with these guys but I know I read that this can be either from "choking" from "gobbling" feed or can be a congenital issue??? This animal is middle age (somewhere between 4 & 6 years old) and is pastured with horses/donkeys/sheep. They feed a mix of alfalfa & cracked corn. She is wondering if she switches to the llama pellet diet if it will help with this issue.
    I thought I had read of a parasite issue that could also cause this.....
    Anyway - thought I would ask all of you guys to steer us in the right direction.... her farm vet has no experience with llamas so...... any ideas?
    Thanks

2. JennJenn

JennJenn New Egg

Feb 14, 2012
    Hi I have llamas,so i help this helps! Choke is a condition in which the llama eats so quickly that some grain becomes lodged in the esophagus, and the llama coughs strenuously to bring it back up. Choke can become a serious problem, and switching to a different type of feed is recommended if choke occurs regularly.Their is a bowl that makes dogs slow down,you could always buy that and have that as the food bowl.

3. purplequeenvt

purplequeenvt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Charlotte, VT
    Try feeding a smaller size pellet. Or feed in a larger dish so the pellets spread out and the llama has to work to pick up the food and can't grab big mouthfuls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by