Llamas

beak

On vacation
11 Years
Dec 12, 2008
Kiowa, Colorado
Has anyone used a Llama for defense? How effective are they and does it come natural to them. Are they ok with Turkeys gobbling at them?

yuckyuck.gif
Both of these are hysterical.
yuckyuck.gif

Llamas and donkeys both will defend against dogs, foxes, and coyotes for sure, probably raccoons and possums also. They will hang with sheep and that is where I have usually seen them. I doubt they will hang with chickens or turkeys and don't know how they will react to turkeys. If they don't hang with them, they may not be that effective as guards.

I have no data about their efficacy, but it is fairly common to use them with goats around here. I'm pondering whether to get one for my goats, but the size is holding me back since I don't really want something that I can't carry or at least drag if it gets sick or injured!

I have a pet Llama, and not particularly used her for defense, but she has "spoken" to us with her body language. She has alerted me when something was out of the ordinary on the property, including a large predator/cat/mountain lion and coyote. She did not attack, they were on the other side of the fence. What she does is "FREEZE". It's her pose and refusal to budge that alerts me.

Big Sweetie is a female, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. She is an elderly pack llama, not a raised to be Guard Llama....so she doesnt attack anything.

I think it would depend on how you trained your Llama.

Big Sweetie has been around Chickens, Turkeys, Ducks, Geese, Goats, and my Pot Belly Pig.

Then again, when the skunk was decimating my flock one by one, they were walking right around her, and she never batted an eye. We saw it once. Didnt bother her a bit. She's lived in a mixed flock so long, I guess she thought we must have put another stinkin pet in the yard?

Good luck.

We have four llamas and four miniature donkeys. They do not keep away possums or raccoons. They do not care if anything is near the chicken coop. They will keep away dogs and foxes but not small predators. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom