LLV-Would you still eat the eggs?

gabby3535

Songster
11 Years
Oct 11, 2008
Hardwick, NW New Jersey
This is a question for any of you who have had the misfortune of having one of your flock
die, and be necropsied and found to be positive for LLV.

I understand that the remainder of my flock, since exposed for months (to the one who died)
should now be considered 'carriers' of the virus. That some more of them may die, as well.
(Also, there are many, many LLV positive, but non symptomatic and undiagnosed, chickens in
the world that we never know of!)
But that I should now consider mine to be a closed flock............no new chickens 'in', no chickens
'out'.

I am not a breeder, and have no intention of raising or selling chickens.........but I 'had' been
selling the many 'extra' eggs, that I didn't eat myself! (For eating.......not hatching eggs.)

Now I am wondering if I should continue to eat the eggs myself, or consider selling the extras any longer???
I know LLV has "no known risk to humans"..............and that it is not a virus that is known to 'mutate'.......
like AI. The influenza viruses EASLILY mutate, that is a known fact.

But how many of you would continue to eat and sell eggs from an LLV flock?

Opinions welcome, please...........

Last edited:
I would eat LLV eggs and have not suffered any ill effects. I got a five year old daughter that eat eggs too so she is healthy as a horse.

Selling eggs, I would leave that up to you since not everyone knows if they have LLV in every bird they have.

Back
Top Bottom