Loaning out a hen....

Chotii

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Seattle area (Kirkland)
A woman I know who hatches year 'round has a single Cuckoo Marans rooster (a rescue fellow, whom I named Rudy the Rescue Rooster), and a single Cuckoo Marans hen. I have another Cuckoo Marans hen, bought from her when she didn't have the rescue rooster. She wants set up a breeding pen with these 3, and hatch out some Cuckoo Marans eggs, so she would like to borrow my hen for a month (maybe swap me out another of her good laying hens in the interim).

1) How much will the transfer likely upset the hens, and make them stop laying?

2) How soon after the hen goes into the pen with a rooster do eggs become fertile?

3) If my friend does not use lights to help extend her laying season, and I do....will the lack of extra light make my own hen stop laying just when she has become regular? we're getting 12 hours of daylight now; by the end of October we'll be getting only 10 hours.

4) When I bring my hen home, how long before her eggs stop being fertile?

5) What are the chances that my other 2 hens will beat up a newcomer?

Thank you.
smile.png

I would plan on longer than that, since she should quarantine her a month before she even adds her to her flock.
B. you run a risk of your hen picking up some respiratory crud that could infect your whole flock when you bring her home.
C.She will probably quit laying when she is moved.
D. Your friend will want to hatch eggs first, and give you your eggs later. Nothing wrong with that, just saying that is what will happen, so plan on hatching after she does.

I'd still try it if you want fertile eggs from your girl, just plan on later rather than sooner, and careful what you bring home. You may just want to leave her there and keep getting fertile eggs to hatch.

I hope someone more knowledgable responds to your post.

For me, though, I just wouldn't do it. There are too many concerns with biosecurity. Then establishing/re-establishing herself in the pecking order. I'm sure there are many more reasons why this just isn't a good Idea.

Good luck with your decision and if you don't get any other responses, please repost your question.

Yeah, what they said.

I wouldn't do it.

If you're not particularly attached to that hen, i might make a deal for a lot of free hatching eggs or chicks or something. But i wouldn't send my hen back and forth.

Besides all of the biosecurity giant red flags, sirens, and blindingly flashing lights, all that repeated adjustment and quarantine time can't be good for her stress and companionship-wise.

I think it's a bad idea all around.

For me, though, I just wouldn't do it. There are too many concerns with biosecurity. Then establishing/re-establishing herself in the pecking order. I'm sure there are many more reasons why this just isn't a good Idea.

I agree...too many risks.​

Back
Top Bottom