Lobsters

I just looked it up (I was curious too) and it said that chickens are omnivirous and can eat any kind of COOKED meat or fish. Just make sure it isn't heavily salted or seasoned.

I wouldn't think they'd eat much of the shell, but they may. They'll probably enjoy picking it over, anyway. Ever thrown a turkey carcass in a run? It's a hilarious free for all!

Thank you. I gave them a chicken carcass but the family gave me a lot of grief. I thought they would like the shells for calcium. I can let you know later, tomorrow or so.

I just looked it up (I was curious too) and it said that chickens are omnivirous and can eat any kind of COOKED meat or fish. Just make sure it isn't heavily salted or seasoned.
Chickens are natural omnivors. How do you suppose wild chickens [Jungle Fowl} cook their meat? I've often seen my Games catch mice & eat them. They haven't asked me to cook the mice for them. Raw meat is actually much healthier for them as long as it's not spoiled.

Really? That's cool. I did a search on Google and a link to a thread came on here and someone said that uncooked meat could be dangeous because of bacteria and things. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that's just what I saw and I'm still learning so I just assumed it was right.... Sorry for the confusion/false info everyone!

Cooking the meat and other fare is to make up for the difference between "jungle" meat and "backyard" meat.
So its true that like all omnivores they can eat almost anything, just modern selections dont match their original menu.
Cook it for saftey, or learn as you go.
I'm guessing efficency outweighs genetic common sense these days and I'd err on the side of cooking.

I'm a huge supporter of natural, and am happy to let my girls and boys eat anythying they catch, still I'm cooking anything from the piggly-wiggly and what have you in the grocery bag.

About the shells, I doubt chickens would spend much time breaking them apart, thus missing some good nutrition. However the shells are what the majority of us buy in bulk "oyster shell" as is absolutley any calcium rich product the sea (or land) has to offer. Break them up with good old modern technology (a Hammer) and let those girls have a ball. Grit + calcium galore.
Think about an old boss, where you thought you would be by now, or what have you and make that exoskeleton look like bisque.

In the war of chicken vs enviroment I try to give them a little hand to make up for what farm efficent breeding has taken away.
I'd love to see how a jungle fowl lives, but lets face it our chickies ancestors would probalby die trying to escape a coop.
Our girls and boys dont need a ton of help, but we have to accept what we did to the breed and lend a hand when necessary.

Last edited:
I also think the modern, domesticated fowl is pretty far removed from its ancestors, but that said, no one cooks the worms they eat, the grubs and maggots they pull from the manure pile, the various and sundry insects they chow down on, nor the mice the catch and eat, etc.

I'd not be very concerned. Not concerned at all.

Last edited:
I took some lobster remains out a few minutes ago. We had steamed them over salt water, so not much extra added taste or spice. There were also bits of rice and some cut up lettuce, so something for everyone. I left the body part all together, but used my kitchen scissors to cut some of the shell away so they could get their beaks in better. Somehow I just couldn't see myself whaling away at those carcasses with a hammer. I kept thinking splatter, mess, smell, cleanup, time spent doing things I don't enjoy. I do wonder if it would be feasible to use a food processor. That might give me an easily eaten and stored mush with less raw effort and only normal kitchen clean up. Since there were six lobsters and only twelve chickens, I think we have treats for a long time to come. I may try the processor, my husband is not home to object to misuse of a fine tool, that he gave me.

Back
Top Bottom