Local animal rescue turns 39 roosters loose together

The neighbors, fortunately, are relatively far away. They were apparently fighting cocks taken in a bust, and there are also hens on the property. I can't see this turning out well, ultimately, as I know that in my personal flock the introduction of new roosters causes much, much mayhem. No plans are in place for caring for the wounded, the concept is that it is what nature intended. I do not think nature intended for such a large concentration of roosters in one spot, actually.
Huh.

All:
There is a local horse rescue that has started taking in other livestock from animal control. Their latest acquisition is 39 mature roosters. They have turned all 39 loose on their property stating that it was the first opportunity that the roosters had ever had to be free and rooster-like. There was a storm of incredulity with people mentioning that the potential for brawl and maiming was rather high. The rescue countered that the roosters would form bachelor groups and a little mild squabbling was normal.
I have my own opinion and was wondering how others felt.
Who are the horse rescue people? I would like to know from them how things worked out.

Individual confinement of birds and proper training of the animal rescue people. Some of the birds may need to be eaten as well. Such birds also make better yard ornaments than many of the fluffy breeds and actually make better parents.

Sounds like mayhem. If they were fighters then they should be in individual enclosures or they are going to loose many to injuries very quickly. Depending on how serious the fighters were those birds could be completely deranged at this point. Steroids, fighting and who knows what all to make them bigger and badder.

The neighbors, fortunately, are relatively far away. They were apparently fighting cocks taken in a bust, and there are also hens on the property. I can't see this turning out well, ultimately, as I know that in my personal flock the introduction of new roosters causes much, much mayhem. No plans are in place for caring for the wounded, the concept is that it is what nature intended. I do not think nature intended for such a large concentration of roosters in one spot, actually.
Huh.

Do you know what has happened since?

Well as long as they just have the roosters and no hens then there shouldn't be too much issue...some of the roosters will actually become hen like, allowing loving from other roosters and building nests...they can't put anything in the nests, but nature is nature and if you take away all the girls the boys will find a way...Lol. They will probably get along just fine with no hens to fight over, but if there are hens then all those roosters will be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom