1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Local animal rescue turns 39 roosters loose together

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by thedollysmama, Mar 19, 2013.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    That is not how things work.

2. I disagree. Letting them free = bad choice. making roosters into dinner = worse idea. Letting them free is atleast giving them a chance. I know letting them go is not nice.

3. thedollysmama

thedollysmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2010
    Oroville, CA
    The neighbors, fortunately, are relatively far away. They were apparently fighting cocks taken in a bust, and there are also hens on the property. I can't see this turning out well, ultimately, as I know that in my personal flock the introduction of new roosters causes much, much mayhem. No plans are in place for caring for the wounded, the concept is that it is what nature intended. I do not think nature intended for such a large concentration of roosters in one spot, actually.
    Huh.

4. Henny

Henny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Northeast
    Sounds like a chicken's worst nightmare to me!

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Who are the horse rescue people? I would like to know from them how things worked out.

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    So whats the alternative?

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Individual confinement of birds and proper training of the animal rescue people. Some of the birds may need to be eaten as well. Such birds also make better yard ornaments than many of the fluffy breeds and actually make better parents.

1 person likes this.
  8. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Sounds like mayhem. If they were fighters then they should be in individual enclosures or they are going to loose many to injuries very quickly. Depending on how serious the fighters were those birds could be completely deranged at this point. Steroids, fighting and who knows what all to make them bigger and badder.

9. Qalupalik

Qalupalik Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    BC

Do you know what has happened since?

10. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Well as long as they just have the roosters and no hens then there shouldn't be too much issue...some of the roosters will actually become hen like, allowing loving from other roosters and building nests...they can't put anything in the nests, but nature is nature and if you take away all the girls the boys will find a way...Lol. They will probably get along just fine with no hens to fight over, but if there are hens then all those roosters will be an issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by