'Local' mauritian breed?

JJGL

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2018
"Local" chickens are one of the most popular chicken breeds in Mauritius, however local is a loose term. Are they a mix of breeds? What really is their breed? What breed of chicken looks most alike to them?
Heres a picture of the "local" chickens. (not ours)
photo.php

Attachments

• chiken locale.jpg
    chiken locale.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 43
I have to say I disagree, to a point. Their leg colors and comb type seem standardized. Body type(especially the necks), while not totally uniform, looks to be fairly consistent. There has been either standardization occurring locally over time, or they really are an established breed. Icelandic chickens come to mind, don't they also come in every color of the rainbow?

Yes Icelandics do, as do Swedish Flower Hens for instance which are both Landrace breeds. They have been bred for body type, size, foraging abilities, cold/heat tolerance, and laying capabilities. But color and pattern has not been selectively bred for. Similar to the way some American breeds such as Plymouth Rocks and Wyandottes but they have also been bred for color and pattern as well. Thus they could be standardized by the APA because the colors breed true from generation to generation.

The same thing is going here with the OP's chickens. They have very likely developed for their various qualities over many generations. But breeding for a specific pattern or color has not been.

I completely agree with you, the do seem to have the same overall shape and conformation.

Back
Top Bottom