Locating a coop?

mzebell

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
Hello all,
I'm completely new to this site so bear with me...
I am a Landscape Architect charged with placing a chicken coop on a 10 acre residential property in upstate New York. There's lots of available space!

I have a few questions:
How far away from the house should the coop be?
Are the chickens noisy?
Does the coop smell badly?
Sunny or shady location?
Any other tips on where to put a coop?
Thank you so much.
Mary Z.

You can put the coop anywhere. Some have their coops attached to their garage!

Chickens can be noisy, but not any more than a barking dog. Roosters do crow. I like to hear them, others may not.

As long as you keep the coop clean and dry, it should not smell bad. Plan for about 4 sq inside space and 10 sq ft outside space in the run per bird. More space the better as lower density = less cleaning to do to keep things pine fresh inside.

Sun/Shade either way. Sun will keep it a bit dryer and let more light in, shade will keep from overheating. Half and half?

I'd put it where it is most aesthetically pleasing. In addition, being on flat ground or where water does not pool, being able to get to the coop in all types of weather, near water, and electricity are all nice to have. Being close to the compost bin or garden is also nice to have, so you can move litter right into the bin without having to treck a few hundred feet with a wheel barrel.

Good luck! Sounds like a fun job!

In addition to what silkiechicken said, I would only add:

-if they're at all concerned about smell but want the coop close to the house (which i highly recommend -- it's so nice to be able to look out the window and see what the chickens are doing. very entertaining) then downwind is good.

-unless you have a gazillion chickens and/or extremely deep winter snow, carrying water out there is not a huge issue, but it is REALLY REALLY good to be able to run electric out there, for lights but also for whatever they're gonna use to keep the water from freezing in the wintertime.

-out of the wind makes it easier to keep the coop sufficiently ventilated in winter without it getting too cold.

-good drainage away from (not to or through) the coop and run is pretty important in avoiding uckiness and extra labor.

Sounds like fun
smile.png

Pat

Back
Top Bottom