Location and Climate Effect on Hatch Rate

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RainForestBird, Aug 18, 2016.

1. RainForestBird

RainForestBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2016
    Has any study been done on how location and climate affects the hatch rate? I live in a place (Pacific Northwest Rainforest) where the temperature can vary by 30 degrees in a day. It can be 85 during the day and go down to the low fifties in the evening. Its especially cold in the early morning hours. We also have huge variances in barometric pressure during the day. Its relatively humid during the summer and every other season is cold and damp. My hatch rate with shipped eggs is zero. I have two circulated air incubators and one still air hova bator incubator. The first clutch I incubated was coturnix quail and only one hatched that had birth defects and couldn't eat. I had 24 ring neck pheasants in another incubator that I transported myself 150 miles in egg cartons from a bird farm. None hatched. I handled the eggs very gently and I was told that they were fresh and fertile. It was hard to candle them because of the dark shell. Now I have 48 quail eggs, 28 button quail, a few bantam chickens and some saxony duck eggs that I am attempting to incubate now. They are all on automatic turners in incubators that I mentioned previously. I did have one mishap where I used the plastic squeeze bottle provided with the incubator to refill the water and it slipped out of my hand and fell on one of the quail eggs. There was blood mixed with the yolk, so I know they were fertile. I put the eggs in a pre=warmed incubator and thoroughly cleaned and sterilized the incubator with the mess before putting the eggs back. I was very careful with them. I'm especially protective of my Saxony duck eggs, but really I check each incubator at least twice a day, and never open the top unless the humidity is down. I'm crossing my fingers that something will hatch this time, I've been so diligent, but after my first experience I'm beginning to wonder if isn't the climate that's affecting my hatch rate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by