Lock Down : Does it matter?

JulieZ

Songster
9 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Trenton, Florida
Today is lock down for my 2nd batch of eggs. As many know, my first try was BAD !! Even Mork died 11 days after birth. This batch started at 49 & I have 28 very strong eggs thriving. I'd like to see them all hatch. SO .... if I put them in at 8pm, when I go into lock down today, should it be at the same time or does it not matter?

Thanks

In a perfect world, it might matter. Chicks take 21 days to develop under perfect conditions. If the incubator is a bit warm, they will hatch early. If the incubator is a bit cool, they will hatch late. Hatching is not an instantaneous process. The chicks position themselves for the hatch. They pip, then rest. They zip and push the egg apart. They rest. They play soccer with any eggs that have not yet hatched. I'm sure you know all this but I'm trying to make the point that being off a little bit does not make that much difference.

I try to lockdown about the same time of day I started the eggs. I think that is just good practice. If I am off a couple of hours, I don't worry about it. If you know your incubator is either warm or cool, you might adjust lockdown a bit. That is where experience in hatching with that incubator would come in handy.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom