1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

lock down question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kwissykat, Jul 27, 2014.

1. kwissykat

kwissykat Chirping

Apr 14, 2014
    Linden tennessee
    I wasn't sure what type of eggs that I had other then quail eggs. The lady said she thought they would hatch between 16 and 18 days. So I locked down at 14. Well now I'm at 19 days and still no babies. The 4 eggs I have left are opaque and I can see the air cell but that's about it. I swear I saw one moving but can't be sure. I have been watching so much my eyes are crossed. Lol how long should I wait and is there any thing I can do besides candling them to see if they are still alive?

2. dylanj911

dylanj911 In the Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    If they are quails they will hatch between 22 and 25 days old how old were the eggs when you got them and they're are other methods besides candling but candling is the most reliable and best way to ensure they're alive hope that helps

3. kwissykat

kwissykat Chirping

Apr 14, 2014
    Linden tennessee
    Will it hurt them being in lock down and not being turned for so long? Should I go turn them? This is my first ever hatch in an incubator.

4. dylanj911

dylanj911 In the Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    I personally dont use an incubator so i wouldnt try to turn them but if they dont hatch in the next two days i would turn them but next time u try too hatch i think that naturally works better but its your decision im atill learning hope this helps

5. dylanj911

dylanj911 In the Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    And normally when there in lockdown i have noticed its better to leav them alone so just dont try to turn it i dont know if it will hurt them but i would deffinitely wait a few days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: