Lock/Latch for doors???

ufgrad98

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 8, 2011
I'm trying to make my coop as predator proof as possible. What kind of deterrents do I use on the doors to discourage animals from getting in?? I thought i read somewhere that raccoons are pretty crafty and could possibly slide or turn a latch to open it?? Do I need to padlock every door? I want my kids to be able to go collect the eggs in the morning, but if i have to padlock it, then they won't be able to do this without assistance. So, what kinds of latches/locks do you use??

I added a sliding latch to my coop door for this very reason, even though it already had a door knob. The latch is stiff enough that I have trouble opening it sometimes, so I'm hoping even the most persistent raccoons will fail.

I bought a gate latch from home depot. It looks like this:

latch.jpg

I like this latch because it automatically lock. For additional security, on the bottom is a hole in which we insert a long, bent bolt into. We have also used wire. You can use really anything in the hole for any latch that would normally use a padlock. It just needs to be somewhat difficult to remove.

Jim

I have padlocks on my doors, since I can't be sure that curious neighborhood kids won't come into my yard. I figure the average kid and the average raccoon are on the same page, prank-wise
lol.png

We use padlocks for EVERYTHING--horse gates, horse feed, chicken coop, etc.

Mischievous or malicious humans may let out and/or poison your animals. We have a belligerent neighbor who threatened our horses, and then within a week each horse received a slash wound just above the hoof--unfortunately the horses refused to take the witness stand.

It's an inconvenience, but it's better to be safe and sure.

Back
Top Bottom