Lock/Latch for doors???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ufgrad98, May 15, 2011.

1. ufgrad98

ufgrad98 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    I'm trying to make my coop as predator proof as possible. What kind of deterrents do I use on the doors to discourage animals from getting in?? I thought i read somewhere that raccoons are pretty crafty and could possibly slide or turn a latch to open it?? Do I need to padlock every door? I want my kids to be able to go collect the eggs in the morning, but if i have to padlock it, then they won't be able to do this without assistance. So, what kinds of latches/locks do you use??

2. lizch

lizch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    I added a sliding latch to my coop door for this very reason, even though it already had a door knob. The latch is stiff enough that I have trouble opening it sometimes, so I'm hoping even the most persistent raccoons will fail.

3. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought a gate latch from home depot. It looks like this:

[​IMG]

I like this latch because it automatically lock. For additional security, on the bottom is a hole in which we insert a long, bent bolt into. We have also used wire. You can use really anything in the hole for any latch that would normally use a padlock. It just needs to be somewhat difficult to remove.

Jim

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I use padlocks everywhere. It's not unheard of for HUMANS to STEAL eggs or chickens from your very coop!!

5. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    I have padlocks on my doors, since I can't be sure that curious neighborhood kids won't come into my yard. I figure the average kid and the average raccoon are on the same page, prank-wise [​IMG] .

6. Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I need a key to get to my ladies in the morning. Kids can use a house key, racoons can't [​IMG] We also have double locks from the inside on our other barn doors.

7. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    We use padlocks for EVERYTHING--horse gates, horse feed, chicken coop, etc.

Mischievous or malicious humans may let out and/or poison your animals. We have a belligerent neighbor who threatened our horses, and then within a week each horse received a slash wound just above the hoof--unfortunately the horses refused to take the witness stand.

It's an inconvenience, but it's better to be safe and sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by