Lock them up in the coop all weekend?

JesseK

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 5, 2012
IA
I'm going to be out of town for the weekend, and I can't find anyone to lock up the chickens at night and let them out in the morning...I really don't want to leave the coop open at night. They are in a fenced in area, but it is really not a predator proof run - no ceiling, just a four foot fence around the coop. I'm thinking of just leaving them locked up in the coop all weekend. I have 4 birds and the coop is a little over 4 feet by a little over 3 feet. Anyone have any thoughts? My other big concern is that it is going to be very hot this weekend...in the 90s and humid. The coop has a window, and good ventilation, and is under a shade tree, but it still might get really warm in there. Is my best option just to leave the coop door open and hope nothing attacks? Lock them up and risk the heat? Anyone want to overnight a Pullet Shut door to me? :p

I should also say that we live in town. Lot's of people and dogs in the area.

Well this is a tough one isn't it? We could have you roast them, or we could have you make dog toys of them.... Hmm do you have some kind of garage you could keep them in just while you were gone? A garage tends to be cooler then a coup if it's well insulated. I guess if I had to choose I would leave them out and take a chance there, I have seen a few birds die of the kind of heat you are talking about. I would seriously invest in a better setup though because no matter which one you choose you're not going to be having a great time if you're going to be worrying about the chickens all weekend.....

Last edited:
Sorry your in such a pickle but you should of thought of that before you got chickens. They could care less that it's a Holiday. What ever you do you have to live with the consequences. Do the right thing and stay home, after all they are your responsibly.
old.gif

There's only a 4' fence over your coop? How do you keep them from flying out? If it hasn't happened yet it will soon. I would get some bird netting and fasten it over the top of the run.

**Edited by Staff.**

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the replies, I appreciate the input. I did have a sitter lined up earlier in the week, but they pulled out at the last minute. The setup is paddock style, so the coop, fence and chickens are moved once a week, which is why it is not covered and is a lower fence. Perhaps in the future they will try to find greener pastures, but so far they have been very content with the fresh green grass/bugs/weeds that they have ample access to. We were planning on installing an automatic door later in the year, which would help, but it isn't in the budget at this time. We hadn't been planning on being away overnight until that was installed. The trip this weekend came up unexpectedly with a family illness - so it is not a "vacation" that I can just cancel.

The garage is a great idea - thank you!

Try to find a sitter!

I live in the city but I let my girls out all the time with pop door open. I have chain link fencing, wood panel fencing, snow net fencing on top of run..pretty hard for a dog to get into. And coons don't like it because they would get tangled up in the netting and I have two type of nettings...snow and fruit tree. Its a mess but for some reason, it deter them off because it is not firm footing.

I deal with feral cats, rats and stray dogs.....so far so good. Rat poison in areas totally unaccessable to my girls and my daughter or anyone.

Ive seen coons, possums and groundhogs out in our neighborhood. Yep in the middle of the city!

I can take off for the weekend with no problems. But if longer than that, I would have a pet sitter usually a relative like my nephews, neice or my Dad and let them take the eggs for FREE!

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate the input. I did have a sitter lined up earlier in the week, but they pulled out at the last minute. The setup is paddock style, so the coop, fence and chickens are moved once a week, which is why it is not covered and is a lower fence. Perhaps in the future they will try to find greener pastures, but so far they have been very content with the fresh green grass/bugs/weeds that they have ample access to. We were planning on installing an automatic door later in the year, which would help, but it isn't in the budget at this time. We hadn't been planning on being away overnight until that was installed. The trip this weekend came up unexpectedly with a family illness - so it is not a "vacation" that I can just cancel.

The garage is a great idea - thank you!
I'm sorry for your family illness issues.

Is it possible to cover the fenced part temporarily? Perhaps then you can feel better about leaving them out?

We tend to go away camping a couple times over summer, and are having to rethink how long we are gone, what we can do, etc., because of our rabbits and chickens, so I totally understand your dilemma. Hang in there. Hopefully if you get it all worked out, you will be able to be free of thinking about the chickens (because you know they are safe) and focus on your family. Hugs and good wishes.

Back
Top Bottom