Lockdown and Power Outage!

AlienChick

Crowing
Apr 9, 2010
Glasgow, KY
This morning was Lockdown and wouldn't you know it, there was a major power outage at the same time.!!!
barnie.gif

Fortunately, I had not yet opened the incubator to remove the auto-turner, so all the heat was still inside.

While I monitored the temp on the 'bator, I was busy getting another warm location ready for the eggs.

There was a heater in the house that was still very warm to touch (it's one of those units that heats up bricks and keeps the bricks warm),
so I grabbed a cookie sheet from the kitchen and lined it with a towel and spritzed a little water on it. By the time the ‘bator temp dropped to 92,
I was ready to move the eggs to the temporary solution. I put the eggs onto the cookie sheet and covered it with foil to hold in the heat.
I inserted my temp/hygrometer probe to monitor temp and humidity. I kept temp at 99.

Meanwhile outside in the garden shed I have four-week old baby Silkies who were now without their heat lamp.
I went outside to check on them, and they were all peacefully asleep in the deep litter.
love.gif
(They looked so cute!)
I filled up a large water bottle with HOT water and gave that to the babies so they could huddle around it if they wanted to.
Since they were also in the dark (there’s no window in the shed), I left a flashlight on for them.

The power just came back on, and now I’m heating up the incubator so I can return the eggs.

Arrrgh! Murphy’s Law!
rant.gif
Power outage during lockdown!
rant.gif
What a twisted sense of humor Murphy has!
smack.gif

Well, this morning I woke up to three baby chicks!
They are all Silkie chicks and the first to hatch was a white Silkie, then a black one and a lavender.
The white Silkie had a piece of membrane from the egg wrapped tightly around her leg, and she was dragging the egg shell around with her.
Upon closer examination, I noticed that the membrane was wrapped too tight around her leg, so I had to cut it off.

Currently there are 2-3 more eggs that are pipping.

jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom