lockdown begins!

Just curious- is your hen broody? I don't know much about quail, but if it's like chickens, I don't think the hen will accept them unless she's broody and has been for a while? If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me.
Quail (coturnix) aren’t like chickens, they rarely go broody. I have some albino indoor quail, and they go crazy for adopting babies, so I’ve been giving them some each time I hatch. They love them and brood them, and the male is particularly caring when it comes to the chicks. As I previously said tho, I wait until they’re 5-7 days old because a good fright will squash them. My best advice is watch them once you give them chicks, see what they do. Mine immediately run over and the babies scramble under, and the adults fluff over them. They don’t sit in one place like chickens, so the chicks will scramble after them and get under while they are eating, drinking etc. if one is too active, the chicks look for one who’s standing or laying still, and they go snuggle with that one. My adults lay eggs wherever, even when they have the babies settled into a corner for the night, with no interest in sitting on the eggs. I think for quails level of broodiness, the babies are better because they seek out the adults, eggs just lay there and get cold.

Still no activity on the remaining two eggs. But today was supposed to be hatch day before my little early birds jumped the gun. So I'm not giving up hope yet.

The five in the brooder are doing good. They actually slept through the night without Continuous mindnumbing peeping. I'm wondering if my first batch back in Oct were to cold? This batch are nice and toasty iv got a better lamp on them instead of trying a ceramic heater.

And the brooder is an old dresser I once turned into a bearded dragon habitat. It holds heat very very. My thermometer is showing 110 in the very hottest spot under the lamp. They chill to the side in a little clump and occasionally sit under the full blast spot for a bit before moving on. I think there very comfy indeed. In a week or so I'll raise the lamp a little. Get the hot spot to just under 100.

Looking at them I wonder if I got something interesting with the one little blond hatchling. Shes very white compared to the other and two my old two when they hatched. They were a more golden yellow. And shes a pale cream color. Be nice if shes a cleaner white As an adult. The others are white with a reddish gold overtone. Very pretty. But I like being able to tell them apart.

Quail (coturnix) aren’t like chickens, they rarely go broody. I have some albino indoor quail, and they go crazy for adopting babies, so I’ve been giving them some each time I hatch. They love them and brood them, and the male is particularly caring when it comes to the chicks. As I previously said tho, I wait until they’re 5-7 days old because a good fright will squash them. My best advice is watch them once you give them chicks, see what they do. Mine immediately run over and the babies scramble under, and the adults fluff over them. They don’t sit in one place like chickens, so the chicks will scramble after them and get under while they are eating, drinking etc. if one is too active, the chicks look for one who’s standing or laying still, and they go snuggle with that one. My adults lay eggs wherever, even when they have the babies settled into a corner for the night, with no interest in sitting on the eggs. I think for quails level of broodiness, the babies are better because they seek out the adults, eggs just lay there and get cold.
Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. Love how the coturnix are like eager little babysitters: love taking care of the babies for a little while, then get bored and the babies move to a new sitter :love

Still no activity on the remaining two eggs. But today was supposed to be hatch day before my little early birds jumped the gun. So I'm not giving up hope yet.

The five in the brooder are doing good. They actually slept through the night without Continuous mindnumbing peeping. I'm wondering if my first batch back in Oct were to cold? This batch are nice and toasty iv got a better lamp on them instead of trying a ceramic heater.

And the brooder is an old dresser I once turned into a bearded dragon habitat. It holds heat very very. My thermometer is showing 110 in the very hottest spot under the lamp. They chill to the side in a little clump and occasionally sit under the full blast spot for a bit before moving on. I think there very comfy indeed. In a week or so I'll raise the lamp a little. Get the hot spot to just under 100.

Looking at them I wonder if I got something interesting with the one little blond hatchling. Shes very white compared to the other and two my old two when they hatched. They were a more golden yellow. And shes a pale cream color. Be nice if shes a cleaner white As an adult. The others are white with a reddish gold overtone. Very pretty. But I like being able to tell them apart.
Glad to hear those five are OK! Hoping for those last two to come through :fl. Not sure about them being too cold as I've never hatched chicks before :lol:, but these ones do seem very comfy!

If you post pics of the parents we can try to offer opinions on why one is lighter, sometimes it’s just the natural range of colors, but it could be a dilution gene.

Back
Top Bottom