Lockdown- Can Humidity Be TOO High?

Good Luck with your hatch!!!
jumpy.gif

I take the plugs out during lockdown as the chicks need more air. I have just the opposite problem and have a hard time keeping my humidity up during lockdown. Good luck and have fun with you hatch.

I* am doing mot first hatch.there is no way to add water to my : image below once lock down is on. Im worried because there is only a small sponge to hold water and circulated air and an air hole at the top of incubator. If any of you have used this type of incubator before do you think its ok to add a little water into the air hole tray to ensure agains shrink wrapping. I am supposed to add water to sponge 2x a day prior to lockdown. help....lock down is on the 19th of July and my eggs are looking 80% fertile

Attachments

• 9E063D6C-D30F-47C4-BC55-11C44410CC46.jpeg
    9E063D6C-D30F-47C4-BC55-11C44410CC46.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 2
I* am doing mot first hatch.there is no way to add water to my : image below once lock down is on. Im worried because there is only a small sponge to hold water and circulated air and an air hole at the top of incubator. If any of you have used this type of incubator before do you think its ok to add a little water into the air hole tray to ensure agains shrink wrapping. I am supposed to add water to sponge 2x a day prior to lockdown. help....lock down is on the 19th of July and my eggs are looking 80% fertile

Do you have a hygrometer to measure the humidity inside the incubator? There's probably a little well under the sponge so hopefully it will stay wet enough to keep the humidity up, and in such a small area it should do. If you are worried you could maybe wet some paper towels or small cloths to add in there but make sure they aren't touching the eggs because it will actually end up drawing moisture away from inside the eggs. Good luck for your hatch. Let me know how it goes.

there are 4 little chambers besides the egg holders that I could possibly soak some cotton balls that would remain untouched by the egg during lockdown., when you say hydrometer do you mean a humidity thermometer? I could get one but not sure it would for.. Ill look for one. All eggs after canceling tonite appear fertile. I'm so excited! Thanks for your response!!!!

there are 4 little chambers besides the egg holders that I could possibly soak some cotton balls that would remain untouched by the egg during lockdown., when you say hydrometer do you mean a humidity thermometer? I could get one but not sure it would for.. Ill look for one. All eggs after canceling tonite appear fertile. I'm so excited! Thanks for your response!!!!

Don't panic about the hygrometer (usually they come as a thermometer too - the digital ones are usually pretty good, even the cheap ones). Unless your incubator is somewhere cold it can't get too humid inside. If the outside temperature is cold you can get condensation forming inside the incubator which isn't good. But I think you'll be fine. It's always exciting hatching babies.

the incubator is in a very stable part of our home which remains @ 72 degrees maximum. still wondering if the incubator might require more liquid, the awful directions with this kit did not mention Lock down procedures. thanks so much for your feed back!!!

Back
Top Bottom