lockdown day 18

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Denab, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Denab

Denab Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    La Center Ky
    Hoping we have babies in a few days....1st time for us... black australorp...

2. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Good luck!

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I'm starting lockdown today too. Only have 6 eggs left due to crappy POS little giant incubator. But I have the surviving 6 back in the hovabator. Last night they were alive and kicking. There were major temperature fluctuations in the LG so I guess I'll see if these babies have developed normally. I started out with every hole in the turner filled, got up one morning to check and the temperature read 110! I will never use LG again. Anyway, I would love to hatch along with you. The eggs I have left are Dominiques and 1 blue laced wyandotte and one egg marked with a "G" that I'm not sure of. Maybe golden laced wyandotte. [​IMG]

4. chicachic

chicachic Out Of The Brooder

I never heard the term "lockdown" in regards to chickens. Does it mean that you confine them so they don't wander? (or what does it mean?)

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm in lockdown too. CHicachic, this is during the last days of hatching when the eggs are no longer turned and the humidity is increased and we sit and bite our nails in anticipation!

I used the LG and while it had its problems, I would use it again. Nurse turtle, sounds like you have a few pretty chicks to look forward to. IF you really decide the LG is not for you, PM me. It's unfortunate that the LG is so cheap because ,IMO, its not for the first timer. I put heat sinks in mine to prevent big swings. Maybe you could try again and put in big jars of water. I could fit 4 qt size canning jars. I didn't use a turner so there was room. Love the golden laced wyandottes.She was my poster girl on my want list.

Denab, your own eggs or shipped? Love black australorps. (I think I really like most chickens!)

Went into lockdown last night; 6 pips already; way early. So much for a decrease in temp every time I opened the LG to turn the eggs. I have turkeys and EE cross.

6. Denab

Denab Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    La Center Ky
    A friend bought them, we don't him we didn't want them so we ended up going in on 1/2's he paid for have of them and us the other...24 total...I've never hatched eggs before, so we shall see what breaks trough. There brown eggs so it's hard to tell when i candled them...

7. morgakl2

morgakl2 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    I'm going into lockdown for the first time tonight. I wondered if I should leave all my eggs in the bator or take out the few that look like the candle pics of day 8-11. Should I leave them just incase, or only leave the eggs that are mostly dark? I keep hoping that the others are late bloomers and not early quitters. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by