Lockdown - do you hatch on sides or in cartons?

wordgirl

One of the Shire-folk
12 Years
Apr 14, 2009
I'll be going into lockdown in a few days for my first time ever, and I was wondering whether those of you who have hatched before would recommend hatching them on their sides or in a carton? They've been in a turner and will be until lockdown.

I kind of like the carton idea so that the eggs can't get rolled around. Although if there was a wrong-end pip, what happens?

But being on their sides is more natural, so maybe that's better.

Which method do you think I should use?
smile.png

I put them on their sides - When they get older they lean to one side, and no matter what side the egg is placed on, it will end up on the same side - every time. I would think trying to get out of an egg carton would be hard after you finally got out of the egg. My guess is that putting them on their sides would be better. Others may have good reasons on why to use a carton though.

Laying them on their sides for the whole incubation works best for duck eggs - so mine are always laying down when hatching. With cartons you need to be careful of what kind you use- plastic ones are better than cardboard so that it doesnt effect the humidity. Good luck with your hatch.

It also depends on your incubator. Cabinet style like we use require the egg trays for duck eggs so they don't roll and smash during the turning, unless you chose to hand turn. All eggs here get hatched on their sides in the cabinets.

Back
Top Bottom