Lockdown humidity

farmer_lew

Hi-Tech Redneck
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
In the hills
We just went into lockdown tonight. Temp in the bator is 100.2 and te humidity is 48%. No matter what we do, we can't get the humidity up. I put a wet washcloth in the bator a while ago and the humidity stays under 50%. We tried getting the humidity up all day and the highest it got was 53%. There is a chance that the hygrometer accuracy is falling off, or the battery is dying. If thats the case, then the temp is wrong as well. I am going to change the battery and see if that does any good.

There is condensation covering the bottom 4 - 5 inches of the bator door window. That indicates, to me, that there is a lot of humidity inside. I just don't know how much.

What do you guys think?

It's an ExoTerra (same as a Reptipro). Has been awesome with temp & humidity, and now we went into lockdown late this afternoon/early this evening & the humidity seems stuck at 48%.

(Sorry, don't mean to answer for the DH.)

If I have condensation I know I have enough (maybe too much?) humidity. I struggled with this same thing in my LG - couldn't really find an accurate gauge so I had to guess all the time.

Humidity is holding at 48% after dropping temp on thermostat by a degree or two. Couldn't change battery in hygrometer as I can't find a AAA battery in the house. We want to get the humidity up to about 60%, but are out of ideas. Don't want to endanger the new chicks, either. The best we can do now is watch and wait. Hopefully the humidity will come up over time.

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

This morning, we figured out why the humidity reading is low.

Before we went into lockdown, I put some of that netted no-skid stuff on the shelves so the chicks don't fall through. When I put the hygrometer/thermometer unit back on the top shelf, THAT is what it's sitting on. It's most likely measuring the humidity level at the level of the netting, which is kinda fabric-ish, and not necessarily that of the incubator itself. There is good condensation on the window of the incubator, as well.

The eggs are sitting large-end-up in trimmed-down egg carton bottoms.

Things are going well & we'll keep everyone posted.

Lockdown is nerve-wracking, tho.

If you are getting any condensation, then you have to be in the 70's. I would not add any more moisture and maybe air it out a little because unless they are zipping then condensation isn't a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom