Lockdown questions.

Poultrykeeper12

Songster
Mar 31, 2020
Upstate New York
Hello Byc! I have been incubating eggs for 16 days now and I just need a couple answers about the days to come. #1 My temperature throughout the incubation period was at a steady 100.0F to about 100.2F my question is that, will I get an early batch because of this? or a later one. My incubator type is a still air, with an automatic egg turner. My humidity has been at a solid 40 - 50% and the air sacks seem to be doing just fine. #2 Can I start lockdown at day 17? A lot of people say you can. But a lot say you can't, so I don't know which one I should do. I'm afraid that I'll get some early chicks. And I have a turner in there so.... I don't know what to do. #3 What should my humidity be at lockdown? 60% or 70. Also does my temperature increase at lockdown? Thank You.

Still air incubators should be set at 101F. But it just means your babies might be a little late.

Have the air cells drawn down on one side yet? Some people wait until they see that chicks have internally pipped before locking down the incubator, and some do it on day 18. Locking down a day early isn't going to make any difference. And as long as your humidity is 60%-65% it will be great. As the chicks hatch the moisture from them will increase the humidity too. Keep the temperature the same (or bump it up that little bit to 101F). And ensure all of your vents are fully open - those babies need lots of fresh air.

Still air incubators should be set at 101F. But it just means your babies might be a little late.

Have the air cells drawn down on one side yet? Some people wait until they see that chicks have internally pipped before locking down the incubator, and some do it on day 18. Locking down a day early isn't going to make any difference. And as long as your humidity is 60%-65% it will be great. As the chicks hatch the moisture from them will increase the humidity too. Keep the temperature the same (or bump it up that little bit to 101F). And ensure all of your vents are fully open - those babies need lots of fresh air.
Thank you! The air sells are not down on one side. But this is when I candles them last night. Should I decrease the humidity?

Back
Top Bottom