Lockdown?

I have been reading a bunch of threads and the people mention lockdown when incubating eggs. I am incubating a few eggs, what is lockdown? Is it another word for stopping rotation 3 days before hatch day?
Yes. As mentioned it usually also means to increase humidity..

The reason many call it lock down is due to being a reminder that your lid is locked down and you *should* NOT open it to assist hatching as it *could* cause shrink wrapping to other externally pipped, unhatched embryo's. Some folks mind this closely while other will assist every chick they THINK needs it. For me... it's taken on a case by case basis, as to how much I paid for the eggs or other factors like complications I know were caused by me... then I'm more likely to TRY and help something despite my general survival of the fittest perspective.

@Chick-N-Fun, day 18 is correct for chickens (and I love accurate exact numbers like that :highfive:) but would not be correct for ducks, geese, turkey, quail, etc.. in which case, 3 days before hatch day would be a great suggestion. :D (or sometimes verifying what species they're working with.)

Happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy

Yes. As mentioned it usually also means to increase humidity..

The reason many call it lock down is due to being a reminder that your lid is locked down and you *should* NOT open it to assist hatching as it *could* cause shrink wrapping to other externally pipped, unhatched embryo's. Some folks mind this closely while other will assist every chick they THINK needs it. For me... it's taken on a case by case basis, as to how much I paid for the eggs or other factors like complications I know were caused by me... then I'm more likely to TRY and help something despite my general survival of the fittest perspective.

@Chick-N-Fun, day 18 is correct for chickens (and I love accurate exact numbers like that :highfive:) but would not be correct for ducks, geese, turkey, quail, etc.. in which case, 3 days before hatch day would be a great suggestion. :D (or sometimes verifying what species they're working with.)

Happy hatching! :jumpy:jumpy
I'm hatching chickens.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom