Locking chickens in coop vs leaving access to run?

I mix it a little. For one thing our summer has been really hot so leaving the door open means the coop doesn't get quite so hot & stuffy. If I am away it is open as it's 1 less thing for DH to have to remember. Normally I do shut it as a precaution against a determined predator. I figure if I'm not predictable the occasional open door is not going to bring trouble.
That was one thing I was worried about too; ventilation. I have 10.25 SqFt of hardware cloth covered windows in my coop. Add the two chicken doors and that's almost 12 feet squared of ventilation arranged near the floor and at the top of the A-frame providing ventilation with their their roosts half way between to prevent drafts in the winter. In the hot Southern summers because the run is secure I can also open the 70" x 24' people door as well.

I come from the horse world (have a horse and mini donkey at home) and am a big proponent of 24/7 in/out access to stalls and turnout and only lock them up a handful of times per year in very bad weather- I was just wondering if the same line of thought could or should be extended for chickens.
I have this same thought process! I used to have horses and IMO they were much happier with free access to come and go. I think it all comes down to what type of husbandry you want to practice.

Anyone who free ranges takes a much bigger risk than leaving the pop door open to a secure run. Now if the run were NOT predator proof, different story. But one can only make any structure "secure" or "predator proof" to a certain degree. If a bear wants in, it's getting in... whether it be a run or closed up coop.

That said, I leave pop doors open 24/7 to a run that's secure as I can make it with 1/2" hardware cloth. During winter I shield the run with plastic to keep down drafts. The benefit to this is I don't have to have purchase an expensive automatic door, or be there at the crack of dawn to let them out, or I can go away for a day or so and let them do their own thing. But because my run isn't very big, this also allows me to go out at my leisure and open the run doors to let them free range. I suppose if your coop were big enough, it would be ok to keep them in for a while. But I've observed that when given a choice, my chickens prefer to be outside, even when the weather is bad. I like to let them be where they want to be.

My attached run is covered and very predator-proof (hardware cloth everywhere including buried around entire run and coop, metal roof, double locked doors) so I leave the pop door open over night. It also has a double lock I can use if needed but the only time I close it is if it gets below -5 or so or if we're having a storm. Keeping it open provides more ventilation and allows the girls to come and go as they like. View attachment 1663270
Very nice coop and run!! :) thanks for sharing.

In general, as far as potential predators here- we definitely have hawks, skunks, possums, and I believe an occasional coyote. I have heard other people in the general area (town and neighboring towns) talk of fisher cats but have never heard or seen one myself. We've had the occasional fox(es). Definitely no bears. Though I would imagine chickens would tend to attract more regular visits of the animals we only seldom tend to see (or see signs of). Neighborhood dogs getting loose isn't really an issue where we are, people mostly have fenced yards and keep dogs contained pretty well.

Very nice coop and run!! :) thanks for sharing.

In general, as far as potential predators here- we definitely have hawks, skunks, possums, and I believe an occasional coyote. I have heard other people in the general area (town and neighboring towns) talk of fisher cats but have never heard or seen one myself. We've had the occasional fox(es). Definitely no bears. Though I would imagine chickens would tend to attract more regular visits of the animals we only seldom tend to see (or see signs of). Neighborhood dogs getting loose isn't really an issue where we are, people mostly have fenced yards and keep dogs contained pretty well.

OK, you definitely have fishers in your area and also bears. You may have missed the news coverage of the bear hanging out near Wegman's in Burlington in December. And you might be thinking that is far away from your area but the bears are everywhere well as the fishers. If you have a lot of forested areas or conservation land the bears will generally hang out there rather than venture out to more populated areas. Apparently there is a bear den just over the hill from me. I've not seen the bears yet but I won't be surprised to see one or two. A fisher ran through my yard just last week just a few feet from my house and in full daylight. So be careful just because you haven't seen them yet, doesn't mean they aren't there. If you do see them they are very likely to be very, very hungry.

:pop

I don't think I'll ever get my head around needing to deal with bears :eek::oops::eek::oops:

I'm not looking forward a bear meet and greet either. I was in my yoga class a few months ago and the instructor looked out the window and said "Oh, there's a bear." The Senior center we were in is next to the town library and a primary school. I did not look. I know they are around, don't want to see them.

The chickens won't need access to the run at night, but I like knowing that if the sun comes up before I get out to the coop the chickens will still be able to go into the run. I also think the more airflow into the coop the better, as long as it's not direct winds on the birds. I close the pop door now if it is very cold (less than 20F) or if it's a windy night.

I feel like my coop is very predator-proof, with strong latches on each door and 1/2" hardware cloth on all the other openings. I know I run a little bit of a risk with my run from small predators (thank goodness no weasels or mink here) as it is a combination of chain link, 1"x2" welded wire, and 2"x4" welded wire. Before I put the wire over the top of the run I never left the pop door open.

Back
Top Bottom