Log splitter info, please

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kwhites634, Mar 25, 2018.

1. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch

I'm contemplating the purchase of a log splitter, & have the candidates pretty well narrowed down to Huskee or Troy-built. Most reviews I've seen so far seem to favor the Toy-bilts. Comments welcome & appreciated.

pertnear09 likes this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Not sure what size you are considering.
    I have used a 5 or 7 ton electric splitter, and here is my opinion.
    The splitter was only good for small diameter logs. It was a pistol trying to do larger OD logs. Did not have sufficient power to split those. Small logs I could do with a Ax . I also do have wedges and such.
    Went out and got a manual 10 ton. It has a hydraulic jack operation. Does my larger OD logs quite well. It is not a fast operation.
    If you are trying to split small OD logs into nice 1/4 size, for your fireplace, then the electric will work.
    I only need to split logs that will not fit into my wood stove. The tree trunk stock from large trees. Have always enough small branch stock around.
    WISHING YOU BEST..... :highfive:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    pertnear09 likes this.
  3. pertnear09

pertnear09 Crossing the Road

May 17, 2017
    Abilene Texas
    Whites, the only person I notice ever making mention of splitting a lot of wood is Mountain Margie over in the cafe thread. Maybe you can try there if you have no luck here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: